Gordon Leaves the Big Pineapple

DL 1552 (HNL-ATL)
4:00pm-6:45am
8hrs 45mins
Boeing 767-300er
Delta

Hey fam!! I have finally returned from my “vacation” in Hawaii!! The flight was very long, yet it was very smooth. This was my first overnight flight and it was the first successful one. I fell asleep for a few hours but I was awake for the most important parts. Sharp turns, decent, approach etc. The only thing I didn’t like about this flight was that the 767 is in DESPERATE need of a rework. Hopefully, it will get one soon and will operate a little smoother than it currently does. Other than those few complaints, the flight was great but I can’t wait to get back on my 737. By this time next week, I’ll be back in the cockpit!! Until then, safe flying 😊

1. LiveFlight tracking

1. Loading up for our nearly 9-hour flight to Atlanta at gate E7

1. Rotating off of runway 8R and starting our long journey to the east coast!!

1. Looking at the last sight of land until we reach California. Views from main cabin

1. Laaaannnnnddddd!!! We’ve finally spotted land 😁 Views from my seat in Delta One

1. Crossing the border of New Mexico and Texas in the midnight hours

1. Final approach onto ATL’s runway 8L

1. Touchdown!! We had a pretty normal landing this morning. Not a greased but not rough…

1. Finally home!! Deplaning at gate A19

1. LiveFlight approach into Atlanta
27 Likes

☝🏾If you haven’t voted for the 767 rework, make sure you do so!!

3 Likes

Hopefully ATL gets buildings in 21.2!!

3 Likes

I certainly hope so!!

Very cool pictures! Especially picture 2 looks insanely realistic :) Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thank you!! I try my best 😊

1 Like

This is really cool! I remember my first overnight, wasn’t as good as yours though haha. Hope you enjoyed it!

1 Like

Lol. I got lucky this time. I’ve been trying to fly to Amsterdam or Paris for ages now. I always fall asleep right before descent and wake up just as I fly over my final waypoint 😂😂

1 Like

A tip is to use VNAV. If you use SIDS and STARS with altitudes included in the waypoints, VNAV will automatically descend you.

1 Like

This happened to me 3 times in a row

1 Like

The problem with that is that I fall asleep and wake up to overspeed violations. So, I’d rather fall asleep during the flight and approach rather than to fall asleep during approach and descent and waking up to violations 🤷🏾‍♂️

1 Like

Yeah, it’s the worst thing ever

1 Like

Most of the time I end up delaying my schedule by a few minutes but sometimes the whole flight needs to get cancelled because I overflew it too far.(That one time I was heading to Sydney and woke up with the plane flying near New Zealand.)

1 Like

Well also consider when and how long to fly. I normally takeoff at around midnight and plan to land an hour after I wake up. (for example wake up at 9 land at 10)

1 Like

Wow 😂😂 it’s tough out here

1 Like

That’s what I did this flight. I set an alarm for 1 and a half hour before I was scheduled to land. Doing this I was able to make sure I had the realistic/accurate runways set for arrival and that I made my taxi diagram so that I can taxi to the correct gate upon arrival. I found out that the reason I couldn’t hear my alarms is because my iPad volume wasn’t at its highest. I thought I just had low sound, but turns out the volume was just low. Now that I’ve turned it up, I was able to wake up right on time!!

1 Like

Well it’s good you found the problem! If you ever wanna do an overnight flight together, let me know I’m up for it!

1 Like

I’ll be sure to let you know!!

if you do can i join?

off topic

1 Like

Nice pics!

1 Like