Good Landing Vertical Speed

That’s good to know~

1 Like

Those ranges are pretty much right on the money Kate!

3 Likes

That is just not true. The softer the better believe me I have replaced many of them. With wet runway is another story. Also if the touchdown is too hard a maintenance inspection must be carried out which will certainty delay next flight (obviously this is only applicable in real life)

1 Like

Wheel shimmy happens in all aircraft not equipped with a boogie independent of the touchdown rate. Thats why they have a shimmy damper, to dampen this forces.

3 Likes

People should remember on the 737 family that a firm touch down its normal and correct procedure.

3 Likes

Here are my guidelines for a “good landing”
Assume: 10K ft runway, no wind, traffic is no factor, in a plane I am used to (CRJ, 787)

Over 400 FPM: something went horribly wrong
Over 200FPM: Firm, could be better
100-200FPM: Decent Landing, probably messed up the flare.
100-50FPM: Well executed landing, good flare.
Under 50 FPM: MONEY in the last 10 feet, perfect landing.

1 Like

Sorry but -2500 is a lot of vertical speed until FL050 it will increase the speed as well, I usually do -1400 until FL050

1 Like

It really depends on many factors, the most important factors that contribute to a good landing are centreline, touchdown zone and being de crabbed, of course, land smoothly if possible but for example here they touched down quite hard on purpose

Does the hard touchdown make it a bad landing? No it doesn’t, in fact it makes it better as the purpose of it was to knock the landing gear out. But I’d agree with what was said above on a normal calm day with no emergencies

The landing gear ib this case would have never come out, and even if it did it would have never locked down. In this situations usually they recommend to land smooth so you don’t smash the wing you are missing the gear into the ground. But as we cam see it was a perfect landing as nobody got hurt.

1 Like

they did land it hard on purpose, it was an attempt to unlock the gear out of its bay

Go for -200fpm

Even if the gear came down it would never lock in the down position. So it is useless. Landing hard is only gonna get you in trouble. The weight of a 747 is thought to be distributed in 16 wheels for landing. When you have 4 wheels missing you are overloading the other 12. If you have a hard landing with wheel overloading it might lead into wheel bursting and believe you don’t want that.

1 Like

It’s advisable not to make it under -50 fpm. In many aircraft it’s recommended to make the landing slightly firm to firm.

Yup!
Thankfully, ground spoilers don’t require a certain amount of MLG strut compression to sense a landing.
Additionally those sub -50 landings come once in a blue moon, and typically weren’t intended to be that soft, just a well timed flare

When I landed with -20 in a CR9 I ended up touching down 1,000 feet past the touchdown zone. 😂😂😂 never doing that again.

Yikes, it’s all about the flare, that makes or breaks the landing

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.