Good Bye, Connie

Good Bye, Connie

The Lockheed L-1049 Super Constellation is probably one of the most beautiful planes ever built. With its 4 Curtiss-Wright Cyclone Engines and its unique triple vertical stabilizer, the L-1049 is legendary in the history of aviation. There are only a few left flying in the world. And sadly, soon it will be one less.

It was November 1st, 1955 when an L-1049 with the factory number 4175 started its operation in the Military Air Transport Service of the United States of America. It remained in the USAF before she began to flying for the Air National Guard in 1962. After many years in service with a few more operators, in 2003 the airplane was bought by the “Super Constellation Flying Association” (SCFA) in Switzerland. It was painted in the colors of the main sponsor BREITLING and started flying at airshows and special events as HB-RSC, the “Star Of Switzerland.” Until today.

The airplane is old. Built in 1955 it needed some renovations and improvements. Without those, the Swiss authorities would not renew the airworthiness certificate for the aircraft. The costs of repair were estimated to be at around 20 Million Swiss Francs (approximately the same in USD). This figure could not be reached by the cut-off date of 20 April 2019. As a result, the SCFA today confirmed its dissolution in line with the resolution of its Extraordinary General Meeting. The Super Constellation will therefore not continue to fly for the time being and will probably remain on the ground forever.

I always wanted to fly with HB-SRC, and I’m saddened that I’ll probably never get that chance. I was lucky enough to see and hear this beauty flying for a couple of times though. It is a remarkable airplane, and it is sad to see this true legend in aviation history disappear. I hope that even in case the plane won’t fly again (and that is most likely) that it will be turned into a museum plane where aviation enthusiasts can visit it and learn all about its history.

Happy Landings, and have a safe day or night.
Marc

Source (German): SCFA

28 Likes

Looking at the picture above, this airplane looks kind of like a passenger plane.

Was it at any point in its life used for commercial transport?

That’s what it was made for.

It wasn’t used in commercial aviation but it was used to transport people from the beginning.

• 1955-1962: Military Air Transport Service, USAF

• 1962-1972: Mississippi Air National Guard & West Virginia Air National Guard (167th Aeromedical Transport Squadron)

After that it was used for different purposes for a couple years and it also spent some time stored on the ground before its first renovations in 1991.

So sad to see another legend go after LH axed the renovation of their super star, stopped funding for the Ju-52 and Swiss Ju-Air being grounded after last years accident 😔 At least I managed to fly on Lufthansa’s Ju last year on one of her last flights.

1 Like

Sad to see another classic go, always a shame 😞

Well at least regarding that there are some good news: Ju-Air plans to relaunch in 2021 if everything goes according to their plan, so I haven’t lost my hope there for now.

1 Like

One of these is at the TWA Hotel at JFK, there not completely extinct!

This was also the first Air Force 1.

RIP, This is the end of the start of international commercial transport R.I.P.

What an amazing beauty this is!!

Somebody make a feature request fofor this plane!!

The beauty of it makes me cry…

RIP CONSTELLATION

1 Like

My uncle flew these for a while in the Navy
Sad see this one head to the ground

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.