Good airports at which to plane spot in-app

I enjoy watching pilots land in infinite flight almost as much as I do in real life, as many of you must also. I was just wondering if there are any specific airports (and places at the airport) that are phenomenal for spotting? Also, are there any upcoming events such as landing comps that are great to watch? Airports with high traffic flow / atc / little to no GA activity are best. Thanks everyone! I hope to get some answers.

1 Like

LAX is busy regardless of server. Always. That’s a good place to planespot

1 Like

GA thrown under the rug again. Yikes lol

3 Likes

Follow the weekly ATC airports in expert bet you’ll always have quality time spotting!

1 Like

Nah to many improper things to do(Taxing theough people, not listening to atc etc.) and people in F14’s trollers unless on Expert Server not as bad

EGLL, maybe?

Not on Training Server

I don’t mind GA aircraft, but I don’t really want to wait around for a cessna to land at 60 kts. don’t get me wrong, GA aircraft are extremely fun to fly!

on the expert server, do atc care that i’m at an airport but not planning on departing? is there a good way to communicate to them i don’t intend on taking off?

Try to keep yourself on a ramp/apron away from where most other aircraft is. Spawn in as a GA aircraft would work most of the time if ATIS ain’t restricting it.

Nope. Sit at a gate, and you’ll be fine. Don’t contact ground or anything, just sit there and spot.

Edit: like @nincombop said, it would be best to situate yourself in an area that’s away from where most of the traffic is. However, unless it’s a major event like FNF, I don’t think you’ll have a problem if you spawn in a commercial gate.

2 Likes

Don’t tune to ground/tower, tune to ATIS or turn off radio.

2 Likes

Well can’t be just any gate since you’ll need to leave space for departing aircraft.

1 Like

Just messing man, I understand haha

1 Like

Right. I’m not saying spawn in an A340 and block a taxiway or anything like that. But you should be okay even if you spawn in a 737, as long as it’s in a gate that’s away from routes that people are using to get to the runway.

2 Likes

If you’re going to spot, turn your callsign to “SPOTTING”. ATC should leave you alone.

Make sure there’s GA aprons at your selected airports. Spawn in a C172 and just sit there. If there’s no GA spots, spawn into an apron away from the terminal. Stay off the taxiways unless you are moving to another spot away from traffic.

1 Like

good call…i’ll make sure to use that trick

Sure, but personally I’d prefer to spawn in as a GA or CRJ2 at the most for spotting. Try to keep your aircraft as small as you can but compliant to ATIS info.

2 Likes

Of course. For most cases, it’s personal preference, so it’s up to the OP.

2 Likes

One option that is a lot of fun, is to take an XCUB and orbit over an airport above the controlled airspace and take some air-air/ground shots of planes.
Disclaimer: This should only be done if you are confident in your abilities to stay above the airspace, avoid overflying runways, and most importantly in communication with tower.
I can PM you some shots if you would like