Golden Hour in the Andes Mountains to a Sunny day in Sydney

SANTIAGO to SYDNEY
So yesterday, as I’m sure you know, Santiago was a featured airport on the ATC schedule so it was the perfect opportunity to fly one of the routes I’ve been looking to for a while, Santiago to Sydney. You may have seen my post a week ago when I flew Auckland to Santiago but this flight had very different scenery. Qantas and LATAM fly this route in Real life, but I just posted LATAM last week and I have posted A LOT of 787s. I used Qantas for the reason and used the 747-400 which they use in real life. My callsign was Qantas 28 Heavy, which is used in real life, and if there is a low numbered callsign for a flight I’m trying, you bet I’m going to use it. I took off from Santiago a little after Sunrise and flew South toward Antarctica until South became North and I approached Sydney. Flight time was 13 hours 39 minutes which is only 2 minutes off my record.

Flight Details

SCEL-YSSY • SCL-SYD
Santiago to Sydney
Qantas 28 Heavy
Boeing 747-400
13:39
@JulianB

🇨🇱 • 🇦🇺

Taxiing to the runway as a 777-300ER climbs on a Sunny, summer morning Rotating as an Embraer E195 lands on the parallel as the sun glows off the Andes Mountains The gear go up and we ascend as an Air New Zealand Dreamliner circles above
Climbing out past the rising sun and majestic mountains of the Andes as we climb over the town of Padre Hurtado. The town was named after Saint Padre Hurtado who was only the 2nd saint from Chile Crossing the west coast of South America leaving the Andes mountains on a line toward Antarctica The full moon is visible with a clear sky above Considering the first flight by Orville and Wilbur Wright was only 117 years ago it is pretty amazing that we can now fly to the far reaches of the planet we overfly the ever present daylight of Antarctica in the summer Hours after flying by Antarctica we descend toward Sydney on a Warm, Wednesday morning The sad reality that Qantas will have these beautiful Queens in the coming months
Touching down in Sydney as the clock strikes noon more than 13 and a half hours after we left the coast of South America

As always please let me know your thoughts and your favorite photo!

Qantas, founded in 1920 is the 3rd oldest airplane in the world, what are the only 2 airlines older than Qantas?

• KLM and Avianca
  • British Airways and Delta
  • Air France and Aeroflot

0 voters

The answer to yesterday’s question about Air Canada’s first 787 is May 2014 which 59% of people got right

I’LL SEE YOU GUYS TOMORROW!

21 Likes

I’ve done this exact flight before! Definitely worth flying!

1 Like

Your pictures are always amazing! Love this route (might try it someday, but with the 787) and both cities!

1 Like

Definitely a “Longreach”! Really difficult to decide which one is the best picture. The first shots are fantastic with all these nice aircrafts in the background, the moonshot is fantastic and the other pictures are great too (I mean Antarctica can’t be a bad one nor can be the B747).

Really well made, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Nice route, different than most flights too! I love the mountains and the queen of the skies… 😍

1 Like

Amazing! I like how you used the 747! Dont see many topics about the 747.

1 Like

Nice pictures! Pretty beautiful scenery down there!

1 Like

Well I can’t wait for tomarrow! I love seeing what you can do with your photos!

1 Like

It is! Really awesome views

1 Like

I probably would’ve flown the 787 too, if I didn’t always use the LATAM 787 😂

1 Like

Thanks a lot! It was fun seeing Antarctica considering I’m used to flying North to Europe and Asia and seeing the North Pole. And the 747 is such a great airplane

1 Like

Exactly why I flew it! Great route and very different from other flights

1 Like

No you dont! I like trying to show the none used planes (even through I’m sure it’s used quite often)

1 Like

The scenery over Chile, Antarctica and Australia was all amazing!!!

1 Like

Thanks a lot Alex! :)

Tokyo to Perth at Sunset 😉
Around 3PM like always

It’s called “The Queen of the Skies” for a reason ;)

1 Like

This is a beautiful route, nearly perfect. A takeoff past the scenic Andes, then a long period of time across the Southern Pacific skimming Antarctica, and finally touching down at one of the largest international airports ever down under…perfecto.

1 Like

Beautiful… Just beautiful

1 Like

Beautiful! You made the sim look that much more amazing with your edits. This will not be a sight we can see from July onwards with the 787-9 operating this route (I will be flying this route in that month). End of an era. Sad.

1 Like

Yes it is! It has so much scenery and it varies a lot so it’s super fun to fly

1 Like