Going around IRL

Just a question for real pilots / atc:

How often do aircraft go around, and what are the main causes?

1 Like

Doing a go around and having an emergency is two separate things. I have done several go-around’s in the RW ;but didn’t have an emergency

7 Likes

Maybe a go around due to an emergency. This topic is JUST for go-around’s. I’m gonna say it is fine

2 Likes

We’ve gone around just cus the sight picture on landing didn’t look right/I egged the turn from base to final. Or floated down the runway. Not emergencies

3 Likes

Well I got to experience my first couple of go arounds last week. My instructor put me into 2 simulated engine out situations in the pattern. The first one I came in too low on final, so I excecuted a go around. The second time, I was a bit too high so I went around for that. So I guess to answer your question is that it depends on the situation your In. Those were the only 2 times I’ve gone around, and I’ve had 3 lessons since last week Tuesday.

2 Likes

Sorry for the confusion. Deleted original comment. As for me, I have yet to encounter a go around in PPL training.

2 Likes

You will. I have done numerous just because I didnt like something. Remember, if you dont like something, go around. It never hurts to save a life

7 Likes

Unstable approach generally. But that doesn’t occur very often. If I had known that a deer was going to jump out on the runway, I would’ve gone around then. But most of you know how that story ended. 🙄

25 Likes

🎼🎼 Power In, Carb Heat Cold, Climbout Pitch, Flaps to go 🎼🎼 😂

5 Likes

I learned it as the three C’s. Call it. Cram it. Climb it.

4 Likes

That an interesting one. Haven’t heard that before. Is cram it, apply power?

2 Likes

Affirmative. Cram it would be add power

4 Likes

Go arounds can be controller initiated or pilot initiated, the top cause for go arounds are runway incursions (an unauthorised aircraft entering the runway) or the pilots are too low or high on short final, I was planespotting at EIDW last weekend, and I saw a go around, this was due to a birdstrike (not major) an aircraft had to vacate the runway and an aircraft had to go around and enter a holding pattern for 30 minutes, the runway was cleared shortly and the traffic could continue

2 Likes

Planes go around for numerous reasons, mainly:

• Windshear on short final

• Runway incursion

• Pilot’s decision (he/she thinks that it is unsafe to continue)

• Emergency on the runway (extremetly rare)

3 Likes

Guys there are several conflicting answer’s here, this is a question for people who really know there stuff eg a IRL pilot

1 Like

Aka @DeerCrusher and myself and whoever else is one in this thread

4 Likes

Pilots usually has to go around when there is conflict on the runway. (another aircraft, ground vehicle, debris, etc.) Also in bad conditions (crosswinds, wind shear, etc) pilots will also have to go around.

1 Like

Pretty much, base line, it’s when the pilot doesn’t feel safe for whatever reason. When we landed at Bay Bridge, we floated for a long time. Looking back at the tape, we probably could have landed and stopped, but you can’t take that risk.

2 Likes

I know the feeling…🙄

4 Likes

There are several reasons why an aircraft may go around.

• insufficient traffic spacing

• unexpected runway occupancy after clearance to land

• a late runway or approach procedure change

• if the aircraft configuration is not properly adjusted for landing

• unfamiliar approach

• runway surface condition (objects or hazards on runway)

• lack of preparation – known as a “rushed” approach

• a predicted late touchdown

• challenging prevailing wind velocity, gusts, downdrafts, ect.

Also @N1RG, I’m not a pilot, but I still know reasons why aircraft may go around. Let’s try not to exclude people from answering unless they don’t know the answer(s).

7 Likes