Going Around behind an aircraft Cleared for the Option

Yesterday I was instructed to go around on short final.
There were so many aircraft icons on top of each other that I couldn’t see why, but something probably went wrong in terms of separation.

What if, you have to go around, with or without ATC, behind an aircraft that was cleared for the option and does a touch and go or is doing pattern work on its own?

You’d have to keep going in the same direction while climbing to pattern altitude at full power. But if the aircraft in front of you is also climbing to pattern altitude after a touch and go, what will happen to the separation?

Is there a procedure to follow?

Or is this something that is very unlikely to happen?

I hope someone can answer this hypothetical question.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Just follow the aircraft in front of you

When you’re too close to land behind it, aren’t you too close to follow it as well?

Well by the time you go-around and enter the downwind you would be long ahead of the aircraft in front of you

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

Not when the aircraft in front of you is climbing to pattern altitude and speeding up as well. Separation would only get less, right?

That is what I thought and it makes sense, but the proper procedure for a go-around is to keep going in the outbound direction, power up full and climb to pattern altitude and then enter the downwind direction given by ATC. But if there is no ATC and you have to make the choice yourself…

You said that both the aircraft in front of you is cleared for the option. If that the case, he has to first land and take off again (or atleast go over the runway) so that means you would overpass him. Also like @Lare said [quote=“Lare, post:5, topic:30766”]
I think the best thing to do is to start your turn almost immediately and hope that the ATC didn’t give you the same downwind as the t&go aircraft.
[/quote]

I can imagine only gaining on the aircraft in front of me while he is touching down and taking off again.
Like @Lare stated:

And the proper procedure for a go-around is to keep going straight, climb to pattern altitude and then go left or right downwind.

I think that when he instruct you to go around on final(what we don’t supposed to as an ATC) you must try to turn to the left or the right (what the ATC said to you) and then after you turn about 30 degrees start to climb

This will I do

IFATC Dylan

DEPENDING which direction the controller sends you

3 Likes

@DS2001 there is not anything saying taht we are not supposed to issue go-arounds. We are fully allowed to issue go-arounds when needed and we are supposed to when it’s needed

I was intstructed to go-around and enter left downwind.
Again the proper procedure states going into the traffic direction and climbing to pattern altitude first.

If I turn straight away it’s almost like doing a 360 which was not instructed.

Do I ignore the go-around procedure and turn anyway?

That I tried to say

Ehm if you are on close final we Should not go them around(I think)

The go-around procedure specifies otherwise. That’s my point!

try to Climb so fast as possible

It’s not that I “want” to, but that I “have” to because it’s specified in the go-around procedure.

Yes I know you must have to do that sorry:(
But
I Will Climber so fast as possible I don’t think there is another solution

The fault already start by the ATC because you Should have enough space

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes