Gloucestershire Airport Open Day 2017

On the 23rd of July, Gloucestershire Airport held a charitable open day to support the aviation charity fly2help. They are dedicated to inspiring young people as they consider their future careers, as well as giving less fortunate or disabled people the opportunity to fly!

Of course, I had to visit and check out the event, and spot some of the aircraft that would be flying in! I had a great time, but on a sad tone, it is to be my last visit to Gloucestershire Airport for the foreseeable future, as I will be moving out of the area :( I hope you have enjoyed my various spotting threads from GLO

The stunning Cessna 525C Citation CJ4 N22UB was put on static display for the crowds to admire!

In the spirit of Britain’s busiest general aviation airport, GLO welcomed a diverse range of aircraft types on the day. I reckon our fly in was better than Oshkosh XD

A beautiful Boeing PT-17 Stearman was also out and about on the day. A lucky RAF Air Cadet was given the opportunity to sit in the front seat!

Agusta Bell AB.206-B-3 G-HANY was flying pleasure flights every 10 minutes or so, from GLO over to the surrounding hills

Little Jet Company Cessna 550 Citation Bravo G-IPLY is a familiar site at the airport. She is often seen arriving or departing on various European charters.

…and immediately afterwards, another bizjet showed up! This time, Cessna 550 Citation Bravo G-CGEI, another GLO based aircraft.

Then the good stuff started! Royal Air Force Battle of Britain Memorial Flight roared onto the scene with Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc LF363 and Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IIa P7530. Always nice to see these flying legends!

Here you can see Mark Discombe filling out his pilots log book after landing

The duo were then dragged over to the barriers, much to the delight of the crowds

We were then given the unique opportunity to walk around the aircraft! How cool!

About an hour after they arrived, the duo taxiied onto Runway 27 and took off again. They made a few more flypasts before heading for base!

Cessna 525C Citation CJ4 N22UB, who had been on static display for the day, then made a rather high performance departure!

As the day drew to a close, the crowds thinned out and the dark clouds and rain arrived

On one of her last trips, G-HANY stopped to hover in front of the few photographers who stayed behind. Can you see the guy in the front seat taking a picture of us!

One of the last aircraft to leave was this awesome De Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk WG472 (G-AOTY)

Thanks for checking out my pictures :) If you want to see more of my shots, check out my Instagram account:

Have a nice day!

18 Likes

I really like the 4th last photo

#GA4LIFE

2 Likes

Photos look great! Really high quality!

2 Likes

Amazing photos as always. I enjoy big commercial planes that “suck” through the air rather than “screw” through it as @Maxmustang would say, but every now and then it’s nice to see some GA and military photos. My favorite one is the side shot of the spitfire.

1 Like

Perfectly edited photos! Great composition.

3 Likes

This is far and a way the best spotting thread of the day!

great photos!

2 Likes

Wow, thank you very much :) Appreciate the comments!

Same goes to you @Lamborghini_Life and @JRRaviation

Thanks mate! I too much prefer spotting larger jets, but a bit of GA on the sideline is a nice mix!

1 Like

Fantastic event and smashing captures, thanks for sharing

Have followed 🖒

Awesome Avi, i like all those shots. Will miss your Gloucestershire shots.

Just the way I like my photos! Looks great!

My dad when he was a cadet flew in the chipmunk.

I think the next step is to go to RIAT next year and get some amazing pictures

Woah nice pics mate!!!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.