Gliding an aircraft

Does anyone know how to glide an aircraft without stalling I tried many times myself but couldn’t able to control the aircraft it.

Put this in #general

And the only time I have been able to glide is if I’m at an excessive speed.

Disregard first sentence

1 Like

In real life pilots can glide a plane without excessive speed.

What exactly are you finding difficult? Basically, pitch to maintain an indicated airspeed. If you pitch down, the IAS will increase, pitch up it will decreas

4 Likes

Hey! Depending on the aircraft, you’ll have to “pitch for glide.” This means, you have to find the Vbg (Best glide speed) for that particular aircraft, which is usually in the aircraft documents or speed tables. For example, in a Cessna 172 it’s about 73 KIAS. You control the airspeed with your pitch. Best glide speed will give you the maximum horizontal distance with the least loss in altitude.

If you want a more detailed explanation about best glide speed, feel free to ask!

8 Likes

I believe he must not be pitching down enough to increase the airspeed instead pitches up to get greater distance buts ends up stalling
Correct me if I am wrong

2 Likes

I try to glide but the aircraft ends up stalling because of speed

Are you triyng to recreate the Air Transat Incident with the A330?? (lol)

You need to maintain a suitable speed as @CaptainSooraj said,
It can change from plane to plane.
Once you find the speed, maintain it by pitching up or down when the speed increases or decreases respectively.
You should be able to glide :)

Play around with the speed, pitch and weight of the aircraft

1 Like

In addition, it’s something you can only really learn by practice. It’s a very hard concept to explain.

Hey,

for every aircraft, there is an L/D (lift/drag) ratio which is best for gliding a max of distance. So you’d need to calculate this/find out the best pitch/speed ratio …
:)

An aircraft stalls always at the same speed so you need to stay above the stalling speed ;-)

Could you walk us through what happens when you are unable to glide?

Helpful info would be:

• What aircraft are you using?
  • What altitude are you at?
  • What airspeed are you gliding at?
3 Likes

No. False. Massive misconception :)
You can stall an aircraft at any airspeed. Stalls occur not only at slow airspeed, but at any speed when the wings exceed their critical angle of attack. In fact, there is such a thing of a high speed stall! Although, that is slightly different.

8 Likes

Weight is also important, if you’re heavier, you’ll need more speed and flaps.

2 Likes

Check also this for more precise information about the L/D ratio😉

Btw, you can check the MCS(minimum control speed) of every aircraft on the following website:
https://contentzone.eurocontrol.int/aircraftperformance/default.aspx?

1 Like

B789
FL350
probably 150KTS or 130KTS

You’re way slow. Min clean speed (which is about the best lift to drag ratio you’ll get) for a 737 is about 220 KIAS from whatever I’ve read online. Maybe a 737 pilot could confirm?
Not sure about a 787 though.

2 Likes

B789’s landing speed is 140kts/ the final approach speed is 145kts. So if you are at 140kts IAS even 150kts at FL350 it’s normal that your stall as the air density is lower the higher the altitude (~2% per 1000ft).
You could set 0.84M at FL350 cut the engines and set 3% negative pitch and observe what happens if it becomes too slow increase a bit the pitch etc :)

Ps: try ~5-7% negative pitch (~1600ft/m)

That’s actually the ideal engine restart speed apparently.