Glideslope issues in manual flight

So I always fly manual ILS approaches and turn off autopilot around 1000AGL. As I don’t like the way APPL makes the plane pitch up even when you activate it dead on glide slope, so I avoid using it.

It is very challenging to hold the glide slope in manual flight though so any tips on this would be handy.

I have also noticed that during short final it shows the opposite reading to what is apparent visually. See the pics below: in the first pic I am clearly too high yet the glideslope indicator says I am too low, it then quickly drops to the correct reading once passed the threshold as in the second pic…

I’m not sure if this is a bug or I’m doing something wrong. But I can’t see how I can possibly be too low I the first picture.

What plane are you in? 122/106 kts ground speed may be a place to start.

1 Like

A330. GS doesn’t seem too low in the first pic, note 17knot head/cross wind.

That’s still very slow

You want your airspeed to be around 150 knots

The first pic clearly shows you’re too low. Notice both lights are red on the visual approach slope indicator (VASI):

The GS indicator correctly shows that you’re (briefly) on GS as you punch through it when crossing the threshold.

Strive to capture the GS from below while you’re several miles out 😉

Here’s How to fly an ILS approach

I understand that the glideslope should be captured miles out but once I capture it and on final how come the glide slope indicates that the landing aid boxes are to high or low? If Im flying through those shouldn’t the glide slope be accurate?

Solution: Get rid of the landing aid boxes and just use the glideslope instead :)

1 Like