Glide slope

ok thanks, will the airport localizer be on the airport charts?

Yes it will. And the vertical indication, by the way, is the glideslope, not the localizer

3 Likes

oh thanks u can tell how im new

Whenever I fly towards an airport, if I’m above 30,000ft I start descending at 150nm from destination. I reach 12,000ft, check the aircraft over so i don’t get any violations under 10,000ft, then slowly descend to 3,500ft above ground level, which then gives me the perfect altitude to enter the Localizer at. Even if this isnt fully related to the topic in question, I hope it helps you in your travel.

PS: a tip is before you go below 10,000ft tap on the airport to see basic information, such as the name, runways, weather… I look at the altitude and add 3500 to get me an idea of what I need to be at for landing.

2 Likes

When using the airport charts, just make sure you are at the correct altitude by the way point or distance listed.

For example:

For this chart at LFPG, you have to be at 4000 ft 11 NM out from ILS and capture the glideslope when the green arrow is even with the box on the right side of your screen when on IF.

Here are some tutorials for using the approach mode:

1 Like

thanks so much

1 Like

thanks you have helped so much

1 Like

sorry to keep on bothering u but to get the charts do i search on google example “EGKK Charts”?

You can go to Sky Vector and search for an airport and the charts will be there if you scroll down once clicking on the “i” next to the airport code. And you’re not bothering me at all. 🙂

1 Like

BTW, the vertical deviation indicator is following the glide slope.

Localizer is lateral deviation from centerline.

2 Likes

im guessing sky vector is a free service

1 Like

Yes it’s free and there are others out there too.

Here’s a topic for free resources you can use for IF:

1 Like

so if i have done this right for London Stansted, i need to be a 2500?

Correct. And if you miss it, there is an option further down at 1660 feet to capture it again. But the standard capture is at 2500 feet.

1 Like

thanks, by the looks of it im gonna spend all day and night flying now XD

1 Like

That’s 6.6 nm from touchdown.

If you intercept further out, you’ll need to be a little higher. It’s not really an issue if you intercept below the glide slope, though, you just wait until you hit it by flying level then follow it down.

Most are 3 degrees, hence 3000 feet AAL 10 nm out.

4 Likes

You should aim to be at around 3000ft 10nm before the airport, if this is achieved then you will inperecept it (given your within 30 degrees vertical of the runway direction.

1 Like

thanks for the help

appreciate the help

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.