Gimli Glider! @ CYOW - 260900ZJAN19

Server: Casual

Airport: CYOW

Time: 2019-01-26T09:00:00Z2019-01-26T10:30:00Z

NOTAM: We will fly from CYOW to CYGM and intentionally load not enough fuel, please spawn in 10 minutes prior to departure, use a 767-300 as used in the real incident, we would’ve used a 767-200, but that doesn’t exist in IF, so I guess an Air Canada 767-300 does the job!

Instructions

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

Please climb to FL410, then if you pack fuel correctly (22,300lbs, 10,100kg), you should run out, and then we’ll land at CYGM and see if we crash😉, copy my flight plan. If you want more about the incident, then give the article linked above a read😁!

Gate 01: @Latvia (Me)
Gate 02: @C-0_407
Gate 03: @Danail
Gate 04: @Marcus1
Gate 05: @macharyone
Gate 06: @Rishon_R
Gate 07: @Captain_Tank

I intentionally only have a few gates, as otherwise, this will turn into chaos😉

• Land with Gear
  • Land without Gear

0 voters

I hope to see you there!

6 Likes

Are we actually landing on the racetrack?

3 Likes

Why not? Let’s land at CYGM

3 Likes

Could I please join?

2 Likes

Do you have a preferred gate?

2 Likes

Yeah 😂, I thought that was the amazing part of the IRL incident, so I was a little confused when I saw CYEG in the event

2 Likes

Oh yeah! i really want to join. What if you make the event starts one or two days before? i have somethiing to do

1 Like

Hang on, not to make this another #meta topic, but how can N339RG post if he’s suspended?

2 Likes

Also, instead of telling people to search the Wikipedia article for the flight details, i think it might discourage those who don’t have the time to look through it, even if it is really interesting. So I would still list out the aircraft being used, a summary of what pilots will be doing in this event (some might not know they’ll be gliding down from 41000 feet!) and what happened in real life back in 1983. Just my opinion, though.

2 Likes

Me and @C-0_407 already juggled the times a bit to fit in between time zones, and he can do 5PM or 12PM Singapore time, but that means 6AM or 11AM my time, so I opted for the second one, but I’m at school at 11AM on school days😬😕

4 Likes

Go vote on the poll!😉😁

2 Likes

I’m a little torn on the poll because in real life, the aircraft landed with gear down, but a metal racetrack partition in the middle of the track destroyed the front gear on landing, so only the main gear survived the landing. Seeing as the full gear wasn’t used for the entirety of the landing, I had to vote land without gear.

2 Likes

Are you joining or just giving me tips on the event?😂😉

2 Likes

It’s at 4 AM in my time zone, and I get up early, but not THAT early. I just think this is a really cool concept for an event that others should join.

2 Likes

Ok, we’ll land without gear 😉

2 Likes

Should I update the NOTAM to land without gear, or let the poll carry on?

2 Likes

Wow thanks @Latvia

1 Like

Can I have a gate please

1 Like

Go stream boi

1 Like

And alo eurobeats

1 Like