Gibraltar Airport

Located in Gibraltar, this airport with a 6,000 foot runway is very unique in it’s own ways.
What makes this airport unique:
*Crosswind landings/departures are frequent due to wind patterns because of a big “rock” just next to the airport (watch the video below for a cool crosswind landing!)
*It is located on a beach and the runway starts in the Mediterranean Sea and ends on the other side of the beach
*A road runs across the runway (only road to get to the south peninsula) and has to be closed whenever a plane is taking off/landing
*There is a weird approach pattern due to restricted airspace just north of the airport that the planes can’t fly in while on approach/final

Here is a view of the airport looking south. A modern terminal is on the north side (no jetbridges) and has airline service. Airline service is as follows:
British Airways - London Heathrow
EasyJet - Bristol, London Gatwick, Manchester
Monarch - Birmingham, London Gatwick, London Luton, Manchester (England)
Royal Air Maroc Express - Casablanca, Tangier

Poll: Did you know about this airport before reading this thread?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

17 Likes

Lucky. To have flown in there a couple of times over the years.

This FSX simmer has mad a vid of the approach, worth watching!

3 Likes

Here is what I imagine a peanut landing would look like at Gibraltar Skip to 35:00 for the approach and landing.

7 Likes

Haha, I watched that the other night and that was my first thought…peanut putting a b777 on Gibraltar… But he succeeded…just!

5 Likes

Matt Davies’ Youtube channel is not somewhere where you should learn to fly xD

5 Likes

He didnt even use max autobreak 😂

2 Likes

Yes and no. Learnt plenty of stuff with his vids…also learnt what not to do on occasion as well!!

2 Likes

That’s true. His live streams are amazing though.

1 Like

Not watched his live streams, preferred his older stuff where he showed going through the pre-flight set up. Started watching this other guy Chewy now. Not seen him fly into Gib though? ( keeping it on topic…;-) )

1 Like

I recently started warching Chewy to! Has anyone ever watched Squirrel’s flight sim videos?

3 Likes

Gibraltar Airport looks interesting, it’s insane to have a road crossing the runway.

1 Like

The road is the on,y way in and out of Gibraltar, they have great big barriers like at a railway crossing when an aircraft is due.

Yo you watch Matt Davies too? I laughed at that video that scared the hell outta me.

1 Like

Don’t veer off topic guys. IF, not FSX.

Matt Davies and Squirrel are awesome though! :)

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure he did after he had to check the brake temp afterwards 😂😂😂

1 Like

I watched the top Ten most Dangerous Airports time ago and saw Gibraltar. I was like: “road across a runway… seems legit”

1 Like

Been in there a fair few times. Approaching from the east is fine, the approach from the west can be a bit interesting if the Spanish are being a bit belligerent!

Not sure if it still holds but when I flew the Airbus in there it was only an SRA approach in poor weather which used to scare some of the co-pilots as they had never flown one outside of their IR training!!!

The road is closed when you’re at about 5mn and opened again when you’ve back tracked if landing from the east!

Nice place. :)

50…40…30…20…10…ABORT!!! ABORT!!! There’s a semi on the runway Pull Up!!!

2 Likes

Matt just posted him taking off in the 77W, it was amazing!

2 Likes

will have to check that one out! Been on board an A320 and that seemed a little tight (well was in the back somewhere but had been away for a few months and was just glad to be on my way home!)