Ghostings Education Thread Proposal

Almost daily, people get ghosted and post/complain about it on the forum. The offending pilot complains about what he/she did, and someone tells the pilot to contact the controller privately. The thread is locked, and that’s all we hear.

I was wondering if it would be helpful to create a Ghostings Education thread, a separate ongoing thread where either members of the IFATC team or a mod occasionally lists violations which led to a ghosting, and then an explanation as to why they happened. They could even post a link to the appropriate IF Tutorial for others to learn and avoid being ghosted themselves. Names of pilots and controllers can be omitted so nobody gets offended.

Ghostings aren’t meant solely to be a form of punishment, but a means to educate. With people perhaps jumping to the Expert Server too soon, having not visited the tutorial section, this may reduce the number of future violations and improve the overall experience for everyone.

Any thoughts?

4 Likes

If pilots are in the expert server, remember key word being expert there. Then it’s the pilots responsibility to know how to act and what to do. Nobody else’s but the pilots, and there’s now a pop up message every time you load into a server, so if pilots really want to know what they did wrong. They can come to the forum. And they’ll get their answers.

1 Like

Hmmm… this could be good! You could create a vote in #features 👀😏

@Alphadog4646

I completely agree that before anyone goes into Expert, they should be proficient. Nonetheless, people still go on anyway, and violations happen. I just thought this might be a good way to enhance the educational process for everyone who actually wants to improve.

1 Like

Okay fair enough, but think about it from their POV half of them are looking to blame someone other then themselves. They wouldn’t read a whole thread about it:)

Below are the reasons that you’d find if you happened to find yourself ghosted on a given frequency.

The topic is locked because you guys can’t really do anything to assist the pilot with the appeal. Its bad enough when we show up late to the topic to find 5 of you guys telling the sole pilot to contact the controller and tagging the controller 5 separate times. The controller, pilot and moderator/staff member are really the only ones who need to have the discussion to prevent whatever issue it was that occurred from happening again. In these private messages, a conversation is done by the pilot and the controller discussing what it was he/she did wrong. The pilot gives his side and the controller gives his side explaining why he ghosted for the reason he did.

Agreed! From the moderator standpoint, I observe the discussion and interactions between the controller and the pilot. I’ve made it clear to folks that I’ve dealt with that, if you’re respectful to the controller, and you show to me that you’ve recognized the mistake you made, I see signs that you’ve learned from the mistake, I will send the user off with a warning. These types of cases do happen occasionally, but only a few will do this without me telling them what my plans are.

An education thread would not be needed given folks follow some of the simplest rules. If you really look at the reasons for ghosting, they’re some of the most basic “Do not do’s/failures” in aviation. With that said, be mindful of others, pay attention, fly normally, don’t be a clown in the skies, and keep your skills sharp. 🙂

Ground

• Pushback without permission
  • Taxi without permission
  • Taxiing through others
  • Entered A runway without permission
  • Failure to giveway
  • Blocking an Active Taxiway
  • Too close to the aircraft ahead
  • Taxiing through grass/terminal
  • Not following ATIS
  • Spamming Freq.
  • Unable to communicate - Contact Moderator
  • Inappropriate callsign

Tower

• Entered a runway without permission
  • Takeoff/land without permission
  • Failure to follow sequence
  • Landing/Departing on the Wrong Runway
  • Excessive speed in the airport environment
  • Failure to go around
  • Failure to maintain separation
  • Flying through other aircraft
  • Incorrect inbound procedures
  • Takeoff landing from grass, ramp, or taxiway
  • Not following ATIS
  • Spamming Freq.
  • Inappropriate callsign

Departure/Approach

• Not following instructions - Do not follow flight plan
  • Excessive Speed
  • Failure to maintain appropriate aircraft separation
  • Approaching the wrong runway
  • Spamming Freq.
  • Interfering with other aircraft
  • Improper arrival procedures (Altitude, Speed, Etc.)
  • Failure to complete instrument approach
  • Failure to execute missed approach
  • Not following ATIS
  • Inappropriate callsign
17 Likes

Just out of curiosity, even though it’s a little bit off-topic:

What are the regulations regarding warning users before a ghost? If I remember correctly, a couple years ago, it was required to send a „Please follow instructions or you will be ghosted“ message before actually ghosting a user. Obviously, that might have changed since 2015 😃

Is this still a thing somehow, or is everything enforced strictly right away?

2 Likes

Warnings are still a thing. Well, they should be. There are a few items that are strict ghosts without warning. Can’t discuss that unless you’re within IFATC but they’re for the more serious offenses. Without getting in the nitty gritty of it, the “warning” for the instructions is found in a different tab within the Controller controls. It wouldn’t be listed as a “ghosting reason” per say.

2 Likes

I think this wouldn’t be a bad idea, make like almost a system.

Lol. That’s the thing, I just gave you all the reasons in one post of what not to do. Just look through the reasons that a controller would ghost and do the opposite. A “education thread” isn’t needed. 😂

4 Likes

So, for example, if I would like to be educated as well after reading someone’s fiery complaint in the forum: “I did nothing wrong! ATC told me to do xxx and I did just that! Whyyy oh whyyy for the love of…” - under which category above would it falls to? Just my personal thoughts, that maybe with a transparant Ghosting Resolutions Lists stating what the complaint was and what has been understood by both parties, we could learn from a pattern… That maybe yes, we all know not to spam a frequency but we’ll also remember that that USUALLY happens at “xyz” conditions. Someone who complied to execute a 360 got ghosted - you’d know why but also know the “red areas” associated under certain circumstances. So you see, with stories told or case studies we’d learn more. We all have a good idea what not to do as in the list but people still accidentally do it, why? That “why” is where the education lies. But that’s just my thoughts, cheers all! :)

1 Like