Getting A Pilot's License With Infinite Flight

August 2018- I download IF for the first time.

August 2019- I take my first discovery flight.

August 2020- I begin flight training through a university 141 program.

May 2021- I finish my PPL.

Currently- Shooting for IR and CPL next spring/summer.

While Infinite Flight as the app itself was valuable in some of the ways you described in the article, I hope you found another aspect of the app even more helpful just as I have- the community!

What got me hooked to the app wasn’t the app itself, but the community that came with it. Before Infinite Flight, I knew no one who had similar interests in aviation. Once I began to join VAs and interact here on the forum, I was able to expose myself to endless learning about the realities of real-world aviation, allowing me to gain invaluable perspectives on what training and a career in aviation or aviation-related fields would look like. Imagine having all the information you need to seriously explore aviation as a profession located throughout a mobile flight sim community. I don’t know a lot of other places you can find that. (For free!)

It’s always been the intangibles here that have made Infinite Flight great for me. Yes, of course, the app is great. I did in fact also fly my first dual XC on IF before flying it IRL this year. I am of course looking forward to using IF for practice relating to instrument flying. But the community has easily been the strongest support and motivation I’ve needed to commit to pursuing flight throughout university and beyond. As most people know or have figured out, a lot of aviation in real life is just knowing people and networking, using connections to secure opportunities and knowledge. That’s what this community can really allow you to do if you take full advantage of it.

10 Likes

This game has really helped me get in to aviation and if it wasn’t for the great people here at IF I wouldn’t have a clue what you were saying if you said 737 and I installed this app 2017 after seeing it on Swiss001 channel and I would not be a aspiring pilot if it wasn’t for this game but I still have a long way till flight school

3 Likes

That’s amazing! I never really used IF for my private pilot but for my instrument rating it has helped with flying all my instrument approaches and then also flying the SIDs realistically

3 Likes

I downloaded this thinking it was going to be some short term little whatever back in like 2012 or so. Little did I know that this sim (and the addition of several commercial flights) would have such a large impact on my life.

3 Likes

In 2017 I started to look around the App store for flight simulators. I tried out almost every single one, and nothing compared to IF. Infinite flight has not only grown my passion for aviation, but also my knowledge of it. I have learned so much from this game, and regret not buying IF pro earlier(I just bought it a few months ago). I love the idea of VA and flying real life routes, and the Infinite Flight Community has only grown my love for the game. My take on Infinite Flight is that you have to make it basic, even though it sounds boring, because the majority of IF customers when they download IF, are not going to be pilots or soon-to-be pilots. They are going to be like how I was, very dumb and very little knowledge about aviation, and they are just going to want to have fun. The more complicated you make the system or cockpit, the more it intimidates and overwhelms these new customers and flyers, which wont make it fun for them. Of course they will all learn at some point and their knowledge will grow, but as they do get more advanced, they will want to see some more systems, like a hands on cockpit and more advanced features. So a solution to this is to leave the casual and training servers more basic, but then adding these more complicated and advanced features to expert servers, so as everyones knowledge grows and people want to see more, it can be waiting for them in the expert server.

3 Likes

Just the thought that a mobile flight sim can help people get their ppl is amazing! No need for any fancy stuff, just something as simple as an iPad can give you so much knowledge on aviation. Amazing blog Jason!

4 Likes

Wow Jason incredible story of your success

You definitely explain the benefits of Infinite Flight and how it helped you to get to where you are right now.
I am most sure that you gave a massive inspiration to other student pilots and gave them this idea
IF maybe known as the simulator that is unrealistic in terms of cockpit interaction and some other stuff,
But this greatly shows what Infinite flight truly is and how it helped you!

2 Likes

Thank you! Of course a sim isn’t needed to get a PPL, but it certainly saved me money during training which is never a bad thing ;)

7 Likes

Love your tatto CF-MYP pretty cool 😎👌🏽💯

1 Like

Infinite Flight is soo realistic
That my sister sometimes switches on airplane mode on her phone 😄😄

4 Likes

I’m on Infinite Flight from 2015. As I was seeking around the Play Store for a good flightsimulator I finally found IF. After some doubts I thought to give it a try unless the amount of money it would cost. IF in these days didn’t have features like global or decent planes. I remember the B787 was a total joke to fly!

For the future I don’t have any intentions to get a PPL or something like that, I just like flying on this simulator. The only thing I really want to do someday is a flight in a full motion simulator and I think Infinite Flight can help me out to do so.

4 Likes

I don’t have my pilot license yet but I landed a glider last October (my first time landing an aircraft!)

My pilot said it was very smooth (I have to agree) and I think I credit that to my patterns in infinite Flight. It comes down to practicing what looks like a good time to flare, how to do the controls gently, and when to roll out, things like that. One of the great things about Infinite Flight is the physics. People even on IFC ask me how I can hand fly so smoothly in the sim. It’s just practice, and Infinite Flight has helped me practice those things.

Infinite Flight has also helped me practice VOR navigation, turns, climbs, maneuvers, and basic physics.

I’ve learned so much on Infinite Flight

It’s really been great and I intend to keep using Infinite Flight as time goes on!

4 Likes

i have learned so much from Infinite flight. Before i came into IF i never understood what the different entry patterns where or how to properly enter them. I was a complete noobie. A few years on i have gained great knowledge and confidence in myself also. I used to be a big video gamer on the ps4/xbox one but now im totally more into doing flights on infinite flight. I did the IFATC practice test and scored 89%. For someone who a few years ago did not understand what a entry pattern was to getting nearly 90% on my practice test is a massive achievement in its own right. Thanks to all the staff and developers at infinite flight for giving me the tools to achieve what i wanted to achieve. It took me a while to do it but perseverance, dedication and determination anything is possible if you take the time out a few hours a day.

Happy flying!

3 Likes

I got Infinite Flight in 2013. Starting off just messing around with a basic understanding in aviation. The next year I took a US Airways flight and was captivated with Aviation and knew I wanted to get into it further. I started to understand the basics of flying through YouTube which reflected in me starting to fly with more of a purpose within the sim. This has driven me to get into CAP, EAA, and my local flight school.

Thank you Infinite Flight you have a key point in my future! If we would get more GA aircraft it would maybe assist with this further and would possibly appeal to some flight schools.

3 Likes

I got IF in 2015! this is awesome i have learned alot from this game! The devs have added and made the game a better experience for me and every other IF pilot out there! the game keeps getting better and better with future updates from virtual airlines i have applied to have made the game a whole lot better ATC practice with all the recruiters
and future IF pilots and staff members have made this game possible! I will apply for IFATC in the future to get better the staff members and devs have made this game more possible and better to learn and achieve a lot!

3 Likes

I was about 10, 6ish years ago when I started using Infinite flight without a subscription, it was something that I used most days to entertain myself.

February 2019 was when I got my first subscription, it was the first thing I paid for.

May 2019, only a few months into my subscription, I took my first flight. I was commonly referred to having the ‘death grip’ although I still knew how to fly without failure or much introduction needed. Hundreds of hours of flying in Infinite Flight, and no other sim I have ever been dedicated to using.

First flight, was a pretty cloudy day

So I kept using Infinite Flight each day, and kept having a couple of flying lessons every now and again, I attended the Infinite Flight Heathrow Meetup when I had practically nothing, knew no one, and literally was a nobody except a pain in the community. At the time talking to people I didn’t know definitely wasn’t my strong point so managed to just about fit in the crowd at the event :p.

Jumping to the present;

The past couple months I’ve had a couple flying lessons (thanks to COVID), with the next one I believe being this weekend, I’ve got some IF merchandise over time, and since the day I’ve brought my subscription, I have not gone a day without using Infinite Flight, and have carried my passion everywhere I’ve went. 12,000 hours of flying virtually in Infinite Flight, and it remains as the number 1 simulator I still use every day and continue devoting my time to wherever possible.

I haven’t got a PPL yet as I am still in training.

I proudly take Infinite Flight with me everywhere I go, as it is a large part of me, that fuels my passion to aviation.

12 Likes

Yay that’s epic

1 Like

Infinite flight has helped me through these times especially with me not being able to leave my house and build planes like I do so I use it to help me get ready for that license

2 Likes

Need to try out this Zamboanga thingy

1 Like

Congrats, Jason. Huge achievement! Well done!

When I was in first or second grade, I searched up plane game or something along those lines and IF was the first result. I saw the trailer and a shot of the Delta 744 over the sparkling water made me really want it, as other flight games didn’t compare to this flight sim. I played it for many years on an old iPad until it required iOS 10, then a few more years on a newer iPad til iOS 11, then til a few months ago. I enjoyed every moment on the sim. Flying without a sub for 6 years was fine as that was all that really felt necessary. Then after I got a sub so I could join Swiss for his huge Infinite Flight event in the summer or fall of 2018, I didn’t want to go back to no sub, so I kept the 1 month sub going til January of this year when I ended it to go on with more complex sims on my pc. I wouldn’t have done that without Infinite Flight though. For someone who wants a taste and to take a start in the greater world of flight simulation, I strongly recommend IF.

Now, in summer 2019, I decided that I wanted to be a pilot. Not necessarily airline, there’s always an option of being an aerospace engineer or other aviation related job of sorts, but a private license and instrument rating would be good to have as I could more or less have it the rest of my life. First flight was in a Cessna 152 which I didn’t like very much, it was not comfortable and just wasn’t fun to fly. Then I flew the Diamond DV20 on the second flight and it was insane. I love the stick and the leg room. And the seats were very nice! (This doesn’t mean I want to be a pilot of an Airbus aircraft, I still want to fly a 737.) The aircraft felt nice and stable, and easier to control. That was what I wanted to fly. I’ve since flown many times and logged at least 30 hours. For a while I didn’t fly because of COVID, but since about March of this year, I’ve flown at least once every 1-2 weeks, and thanks to getting vaccinated in June, I can fly without having the discomfort of a mask stretched over the mic. Eventually I got to fly a DA40 which gets booked frequently, and I fell in love with the G1000 which is so much better than a GNS430 and analog instruments in the DV20.

I’ve been able to slightly apply the DV20 checklist to the C172 in IF. (By the way, DO NOT EVER use a checklist for one aircraft in another aircraft when flying in real life. Even if it is a DV20 checklist in a DA40, every aircraft is different.)

I will be soloing in several months, and will hope for a PPL a year later. Couldn’t have done it without getting IF 7 or 8 years ago, thanks for making the sim!

(unfortunately poorly timed photo of me rocking the IF merch on a brand new DV20 wing)

4 Likes