General Aviation is Safer Than a Car(and Being in Bed)

I was reading this article on a crash(found here) and found this graph on transportation fatalities.

We need to have the same units.

The miles to hours.

100,000 miles/25mph = 4,000 hours

4,000 hours * 25 = 100,000 hours

The death rate.

Do the same thing

1.07/25 = 0.0428

0.0428 * 25 = 1.07.

So a rate of 1.07 deaths per 100,000 hours compared to 0,91 deaths per 100,000.

I think I’ll buy a plane.

UPDATE: 21 groups ask the NTSB to tell the public that GA is safe. In the article, it says That there is more deaths from people falling out of bed than deaths from GA.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2016/september/23/21-groups-ask-ntsb-to-tell-public-ga-is-safe

14 Likes

Of course, that isn’t accounting for the massive difference in number of pilots vs. drivers.

9 Likes

Ok. I’ll still get a BRS for my plane if it does not have one already. But I still think that GA is safer than a car.

1 Like

Biking and walking is better than GA

3 Likes

True. Unless you’re biking or walking across a busy street.

1 Like

It is the law to yield for peds in most states

2 Likes

True again. Put that busy street near DC.

1 Like

Ahhh.Not DC.I hate the way the road lays out in some areas even thought I been there one and I dont drive.But is alot of traffic so its impossible to jay walk

2 Likes

I live near DC. I see at lest 5 people jaywalk in 1 year in the suberbs.

Ohh, and I updated the info.

1 Like

In New York, the traffic is slow enough to where you can jaywalk. Either that or the street is near empty.

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

6 Likes

There never seems to be a midway point. Especially on 5th and 8th avenue.

1 Like

I’m homeschool, so I sleep till noon, stay up till 10.

1 Like

All my time on the news I never heard of a boat crashing before lol.

1 Like

How to do go to bed at 10 and wake up at 12?

1 Like

Obviously aviation is safer, you’re more likely to die crossing the road than in an airplane.

1 Like

I wake up at Noon(12 p.m.) and go to sleep at 10 p.m.

1 Like

I go to sleep at 1am and wake up at 7:45am, waking up that late is just plain lazy 😂, in the holidays I sometimes stay up till 4 but I wake up at 12 instead

1 Like

You must be a parent.

1 Like

It’s statistical, and it’s talking about the people on the plane, that includes; passengers, pilots, crew members etc. Since it’s statistical it talks about the odds, not the hard number.

1 Like