The General Atomics MQ-9 Reaper is an unmanned aerial vehicle capable of remotely controlled or autonomous flight operations, developed by General Atomics Aeronautical Systems (GA-ASI) primarily for the United States Air Force. The MQ-9 and other UAVs are referred to as Remotely Piloted Vehicles/Aircraft (RPV/RPA) by the USAF to indicate their human ground controllers. The MQ-9 is the first hunter-killer UAV designed for long-endurance and high-altitude surveillance.
“We’ve moved from using UAVs primarily in intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance roles before Operation Iraqi Freedom, to a true hunter-killer role with the Reaper.” - Former Chief of Staff of the United States Air Force General T. Michael Moseley
- Crew: 0 onboard, 2 in ground station
- Length: 36 ft 1 in (11 m)
- Wingspan: 65 ft 7 in (20 m)
- Height: 12 ft 6 in (3.81 m)
- Empty weight: 4,901 lb (2,223 kg)
- Max takeoff weight: 10,494 lb (4,760 kg)
- Fuel capacity: 4,000 lb (1,800 kg)
Payload: 3,800 lb (1,700 kg)
- Internal: 800 lb (360 kg)
- External: 3,000 lb (1,400 kg)
- Powerplant: 1 × Honeywell TPE331-10 turboprop, 900 hp (671 kW)
- Maximum speed: 300 mph; 260 kn (482 km/h)
- Cruise speed: 194 mph; 169 kn (313 km/h)
- Range: 1,151 mi; 1,852 km (1,000 nmi)
- Endurance: 14 hours fully loaded
- Service ceiling: 50,000 ft (15,000 m)
- Operational altitude: 25,000 ft (7.5 km)
- French Air Force
- Royal Air Force
- Indian Navy
- Italian Air Force
- Royal Netherlands Air Force
- The United States Air Force
- United States Air National Guard
- United States Customs and Border Protection
Why would we ever want this in Infinite Flight?
The biggest opposition to this is most likely due to the fact that it is a drone, but I might ask, what is the issue with it being a drone? Infinite Flight is all about aviation, not just piloted aircraft, and bringing an aircraft like this into Infinite Flight would be revolutionary in the Flight Simulator market, as the place where you are most likely find an aircraft such as this are in military simulation games. This would also bring a very unique aircraft to Infinite Flight, that might change the way military simulation groups operate and function, along with a variety of ways to fly this aircraft, from border patrol, to combat missions, and much more.
Leave your thoughts down below on why we should (or shouldn’t) have this implemented in Infinite Flight.