Since the upgrade, I’ve noticed some pilots incorrectly using ATC when I am controlling on the expert server. May I take a moment of your time to remind all of you “new to expert” pilots of some things?
The first place to go to before you fly on the Expert server are the flying tutorials located here.
Within the link above you’ll notice some tips about how to not make the following mistakes….
- When you are on the ground frequency taxiing to the runway, you DO NOT need to request a frequency change to the tower frequency. Part of the ‘Taxi to runway XX and contact tower when ready’ command is for YOU to switch frequency to tower to request takeoff.
- Please educate yourself on what ‘remaining in the pattern’ means. Here is the tutorial. I just did a 4 hour t/g IFATC session in Seattle and according to my statistics over 50% of pilots that took off requested to ‘Remain in the Pattern’ AND had a flight plan to another airport hundreds of NM away.
- When in the pattern, please do not call in a “touch and go.” What is a touch and go? – Click HERE
- When you are in the pattern, even though it’s not required, it’s definitely appreciated to know if you plan on finishing your pattern work by sending us a ‘Full Stop’ message through the frequency…especially when it’s busy.
- When ATC asks you to change frequency, please….change frequency. This tutorial is very helpful for you to understand your interactions with ATC before, during and after your flight.
- If I ask you to hold position on the taxiway, please hold position until told. Spamming with additional “request taxi to….” Messages doesn’t help anybody.
I’m sure my IFATC brethren will add other pointers in the comments below, if necessary.
Thanks so much for reading. See you all out there…