General ATC Reminders

Hello,

Since the upgrade, I’ve noticed some pilots incorrectly using ATC when I am controlling on the expert server. May I take a moment of your time to remind all of you “new to expert” pilots of some things?

The first place to go to before you fly on the Expert server are the flying tutorials located here.

Within the link above you’ll notice some tips about how to not make the following mistakes….

1. When you are on the ground frequency taxiing to the runway, you DO NOT need to request a frequency change to the tower frequency. Part of the ‘Taxi to runway XX and contact tower when ready’ command is for YOU to switch frequency to tower to request takeoff.
  2. Please educate yourself on what ‘remaining in the pattern’ means. Here is the tutorial. I just did a 4 hour t/g IFATC session in Seattle and according to my statistics over 50% of pilots that took off requested to ‘Remain in the Pattern’ AND had a flight plan to another airport hundreds of NM away.
  3. When in the pattern, please do not call in a “touch and go.” What is a touch and go? – Click HERE
  4. When you are in the pattern, even though it’s not required, it’s definitely appreciated to know if you plan on finishing your pattern work by sending us a ‘Full Stop’ message through the frequency…especially when it’s busy.
  5. When ATC asks you to change frequency, please….change frequency. This tutorial is very helpful for you to understand your interactions with ATC before, during and after your flight.
  6. If I ask you to hold position on the taxiway, please hold position until told. Spamming with additional “request taxi to….” Messages doesn’t help anybody.

I’m sure my IFATC brethren will add other pointers in the comments below, if necessary.

Thanks so much for reading. See you all out there…

Ryan

21 Likes

The “remaining in the pattern” one tho.
Before I used to use it all the time on TS1 thinking it meant when I depart I stay behind the other aircrafts till I reach my cruising altitude.

1 Like

My absolute FAVORITE is when I’m running a busy airport and I get “that guy” who asks to remain in the pattern but ends up departing in some direction…

Or the guy who can’t be patient and has to resend a taxi/takeoff/pushback/landing request within 5 seconds if you don’t reply to him.

Unfortunately, there’s only so much you can do in TS1, but the expert server should be held to much higher standards.

1 Like

When I started, I used it the same way a lot of other pilots do… file a flight plan and remain “in that pattern”. Good thing I did a little research soon after joining and learned what it meant.

IF is really good at making me curious about aviation… I really have learned a lot since joining Live 😁

Nice post, if I may add/clarify some items.

When you are on the ground frequency taxiing to the runway, you DO NOT need to request a frequency change to the tower frequency. Part of the ‘Taxi to runway XX and contact tower when ready’ command is for YOU to switch frequency to tower to request takeoff.

This is because your taxi instruction already included instructions to contact tower when ready. There is no need to ask again.

Please educate yourself on what ‘remaining in the pattern’ means. Here is the tutorial. I just did a 4 hour t/g IFATC session in Seattle and according to my statistics over 50% of pilots that took off requested to ‘Remain in the Pattern’ AND had a flight plan to another airport hundreds of NM away.

We understand that some pilots may want to fly a few patterns and they head off to their destination. It is fine to have your plan going to your destination but if you ask for pattern and take off, for the love of everything that is holy join the pattern. No need to go to 6,000 feet. Let the controller see you turn and then they will sequence/clear you.

When in the pattern, please do not call in a “touch and go.” What is a touch and go? – Click HERE

By you asking to join the pattern you already instructed the controller on what you want to do. You want to take off, circle back, and land. The controller will sequence you if needed, and will clear you for landing with option without you needing to ask for inbound. If you need to change runways, use the “request runway change” command.

When you are in the pattern, even though it’s not required, it’s definitely appreciated to know if you plan on finishing your pattern work by sending us a ‘Full Stop’ message through the frequency…especially when it’s busy.

This really helps controllers when you have a plan behind you. With this command we are expecting you to stop instead of taking off again causing us to be ready to give you the exit command and to keep an eye on spacing.

When ATC asks you to change frequency, please….change frequency. This tutorial is very helpful for you to understand your interactions with ATC before, during and after your flight.

Don’t switch to approach just because they are there. Only switch to approach working as departure if you are told to. Otherwise “tune out” or switch to the nearest unicom and enjoy your flight.

If I ask you to hold position on the taxiway, please hold position until told. Spamming with additional “request taxi to….” Messages doesn’t help anybody.

If you get this message it means there is a traffic jam or the controller is trying to save the lives of all your passengers. When you get the command pop over to the radar view or external camera and look around and see if you can see why the command was given. You still have responsibility of the space around your aircraft!

3 Likes

Thanks so much, @Chris_S for delving into and explaining the points with much more detail!

1 Like

This was so mich needed. MODS PIN THAT GLOBAL PLS.😁😁

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.