Gear out for entire flight

Does anybody know what happens if you leave gear out for an entire flight and if it is allowed and what effects does it have on the gear and the plane

6 Likes

Well, it increases drag. And throughout an entire flight, that’s A LOT of drag.

25 Likes

The gear could be ripped off by the speed of the aircraft and climbing or descendimg to altitudes, the gear also gives the aircraft more drag.

23 Likes

Thanks how does drag help the plane and how does it pose a negative to the plane

2 Likes

This would be unlikely to happen on modern aircraft because off all the master caution warnings

3 Likes

What would it warn it about

2 Likes

That the gear is still down… (maybe not master caution), the pilots would also see that the plane is not gaining airspeed as usual.

5 Likes

Are we helpng you with homework?

Stick your arm out the window while driving. Make a flat hand, no gear, easy. Make a fist, drag…

Mr wizard was my JAM!

17 Likes

The only time drag helps is if you wanna slow down… I highly suggest looking at this chart for the four forces of flight.image

8 Likes

I wish I had aviation homework but I’m in elementary school and we do not learn that but thanks for the help

6 Likes

Without drag, a plane’s wings wouldn’t be able to produce lift (I think) because there would have to be no air. But it decreases the fuel efficiency of the plane and if the plane exceeds its design’s never exceed speed, the drag may cause the plane to break up in flight.

2 Likes

There was a good story about the flight that had a hole open in the plane around Hawaii. They had to wait for the last moment to put the gear down because they were losing speed and they couldn’t afford the extra drag.

Nice to have an interest in physics or why things work in general.

4 Likes

Higher fuel burn and more drag on airplane

2 Likes

Ayyyyyy. Finally one person mentioned something more crucial than drag. I had to service an aircraft that diverted to the airport that I work at, that had a gear stuck down. This aircraft was a E145, that departed HOU heading to DFW. It couldn’t make the flight while taking as much fuel as possible. They could only fly for about 45 minutes before hitting their minimum fuel mark.

Some aircraft that fly shorter routes will fly with their gear and flaps down for the greater fuel burn because they need to be under their MLW.

im so smart. laughing face sarcastic tone

4 Likes

It makes the plane use less fuel

1 Like

gear down= more drag more fuel burn

1 Like

Sarcasm @N1DG😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

1 Like

lol i didnt pick up on it

1 Like

Having your gear out for the entire flight is gonna bite you in the butt when fuel consumption comes out.

2 Likes