Gear Down

At what altitude the pilots go down the landing gear on final approach?

1 Like

less than 2000 ft. and about 4.0nm from airport, but depends, real life pilots or are you talking about the game?

2 Likes

established on localizer I think?

1 Like

Gear down depends on the pattern position too, on Boeing , when turning base, flaps 15° and gear down, same for Airbus, but the flaps are 2.

1 Like

I thought it was 3nm out.

Well I read that somewhere I don’t remember exactly it was something like that. Narroc_Wim

I don’t know who told me but someone said 3 miles. I often see planes put gear down about 3-4 miles out.

That’s a bit late. Most airlines SOPs want you fully configured by 4nm at the latest (unless you are doing a low drag approach). Gear down & flaps 15 should be around 8-6nm out.

2 Likes

Yes I also see them too

I’ve never seen planes with gears out at 8 miles. Maybe none of the airlines that fly to Orlando follow that procedure.

1 Like

At the earliest, I see them put down gear at around where the purple pin is for the westernmost runway.

2 Likes

In my knowledge and experience the pilot put gear down when “Flap 2”
P.s I don’t know the exact time :(

1 Like

Check this link, its a topic I made with the configuration for Airbus and Boeing aircraft at each stage of the traffic pattern.

1 Like

You should be fully configured before 1000 feet.

2 Likes

@aernout can explain

Around 4-6NM from the airfield

On the airbus between 2000 feet with flaps 2, on the A380 it takes around 60 seconds to lower the gear.

6 Likes

Just checking a typical approach chart with 3 degree glide, 2000ft looks like 6nm out I think.

3 Likes

wow, 60 seconds is a long time! I thought it had to be 13 seconds or something around there… or is that with the emergency gear drop?

2 Likes

They usally do gear down at around 10nm from base. Or at least that’s what I saw