Garuda Indonesia To Start Flying To The US In 2017

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/06/20/garuda-indonesia-los-angeles/
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/08/15/garuda-indonesia-los-angeles-us-flight/
And from other Indonesian news source, Garuda will ultilize their B77W in CGK-NRT-LAX route by June 2017 with 2x Frequency. And Garuda is also planning to open CGK-JFK (It’s likely that AMS will be the stopover) in the future. What do you think about Garuda’s new moves?

I know this is an old news xD. Since they announced it back to June’16

12 Likes

It’s about damn time!

4 Likes

Took them long enough to re open routes to the US

2 Likes

Nice.
Good for Garuda Indonesia. If they plan to expand they have to go for the long haul market. Lion and AirAsia dominate short haul

1 Like

True, but when it comes to international flights from Indonesia Garuda dominates

1 Like

NRT seems a like a bad choice though. Already have 5 flights to NRT each day from LAX plus 3 flights to HND.

2 Likes

Yah, Especially they also have to compete with their “Mortal Rival” (a.k.a My Favourite Airline) and some Japanese Carriers like JAL and ANA. NRT Stopover may be a blessing or even a curse for Garuda

1 Like

Yeah, they’d better have a reason to book with them instead of their competitors.

1 Like

But, I think they had no choices, Chinese airports such as PEK, and PVG don’t allow fifth freedom flights, while KIX demand may not enough to be served by B77W in CGK-KIX Sector and also expensive lease cost (Though cheaper than HND). While HND lease cost is too expensive for Garuda (Like the one in LHR, Because of the expensive lease cost in LHR, Garuda is losing money in Semester 2 of 2016)

1 Like

Maybe ICN. Yeah, KIX is only served by a JAL 788 at the moment, and those don’t even have 200 seats. Who knows, maybe demand for Tokyo is actually really strong.

1 Like

If it’s from ICN, They also have to compete with Asiana and their Partner, Korean Air. May be better but still, CGK-ICN isn’t as profitable as CGK-NRT sector. But Maybe we shall see, Can Garuda survive in the midst of the Competition

2 Likes

Hmm, how about HNL? Is that allowed?

1 Like

Garuda flown to HNL in the past on the former LAX Service. Maybe that could be an option but with low demand in CGK-HNL service (From what I see in the photos about the past flight, CGK-HNL route is pretty empty in a 747. No wonder the route was withdrawn in 1997). I’m not sure Garuda will go for HNL Stopover

1 Like

318 passengers on the 77W compared to 457 on the 744. Might work out. There’s nobody flying CGK-HNL direct right now.

1 Like

But still, The Demand will be a serious challenge to pay the operational cost. Even it still looked empty when they downsized the equipment to MD-11. Except if Garuda wants to suffer a “Bloody Financial Loss” like in the past.

1 Like

Well I guess they really don’t have many options. SQ does both ICN and NRT. OZ and KE both have 2 flights a day. NRT has 4 other flights too. Maybe they could do HND. Maybe the demand for Tokyo and Seoul is still enough to fill a 77W.

1 Like

If Garuda wants to go for more Passengers, they shall go for ICN (But I think, Korean Carriers offers so many flights/frequency from ICN to LAX. And Japanese demand is quite high). Though if Garuda wants cheaper slot cost, They shall stay in NRT (HND’s leasing cost is so expensive as it’s located next to the downtown)

1 Like

Yeah, 3 A380s and 2 777s already for ICN.

1 Like

But I think as SIA downgraded their A388 to B77W in SIN-NRT-LAX due to the recent network changes, I think it gave Garuda more chances to attract pax from Japan (in this case, NRT) ;)

2 Likes

DL/UA/AA/SQ/NH/JL be like:

But in all seriousness, Garuda will be up against some really tough competition, best of luck to them.

4 Likes