Future of Western Colorado Tracking Thread

This topic was inspired by the Future of KDEN Tracking Thread. Feel free to post any airport expansions, new airline destinations etc. in the comments below for airports such as KGJT, KASE, KEGE, KMJT, KHDN, KDRO, KRIL etc.

So I’ll start out with something I think is pretty cool and if it actually happens will be great for the economy and tourism on the Western Slope. What I am talking about is the possibility of KGJT (Walker Fld/ Grand Junction Rgnl) becoming an INTERNATIONAL airport. Currently GJT is a domestic regional airport with the following flights.

• AAL: GJT-PHX (operated with a CRJ-700)
    • GJT-DFW (operated with a CRJ-700 or E175LR)
  • DAL: GJT-SLC (operated with a CRJ-200)
  • UAL: GJT-DEN (plane often varies, typically an E145XR)
    • GJT-ORD (Seasonal, operated with an E175)
  • AAY: GJT-LAS (operated with an A319/20)
    • GJT-LAX (Seasonal, operated with an A320)
    • GJT-AZA (operated with an A319/20)
  • FDX: GJT-MEM (operated with a 757F)
    • GJT-COS (operated with a 757F)
    • GJT-FAT (Seasonal? Operated with a 757F)
  • LYM: GJT-APA (operated with E120)
    • GJT-DEN (operated with a Metro Liner <this is a cargo flight).

One of the main reasons GJT is considering going international is because of the services provided by their current Fixed Base Operator (FBO), West Star Aviation. West Star has a good sized maintenance facility in GJT that has many planes from all over North America and the world come to be serviced, however due to the fact that GJT isn’t international these planes have to clear customs at another airport. With the potential of becoming international, these flights would no longer have to add another stop to their flights. Of course there could also be the possibility of some Canadian or Mexican airlines adding GJT to their list of destinations too.

(Here is one of multiple articles about the potential of this project; https://www.gjep.org/general/grand-junction-international-airport-on-the-horizon/)

7 Likes

Bookmarked. Glad you included three of my favorite airports.

2 Likes

Coming from someone who lives in western CO, this is an excellent thread! I am glad I was able to inspire you with my KDEN tracking thread lol. This will come in handy especially as the Aspen Airport goes under review with city officials to decide whether to expand the airport to accomadate larger aircraft or even move the airport.

1 Like

Yeah, I spend about 2 months of the year over in Aspen, would be a pain if they moved the airport.

2 Likes

I honestly wouldn’t mind it because it would probably mean moving it closer to Glenwood Springs which is a win in my opinion.

1 Like

Well I’m glad you guys like it. I didn’t know how well it would go over with the community seeming as I started off talking about something that doesn’t have a ton of traction yet.

1 Like

Yeah, I go to Rifle a lot anyways but It’s still nicer going to Aspen.

2 Likes

I agree that Aspen is nicer to fly from than Rifle (especially considering ASE is actually commercial). I’ve only flown out of there a few times and it hasn’t been bad. The only flight I’ve been on from Rifle was a time that I got to fly on a DC-3 to Grand Junction.

2 Likes

I’m impressed.

1 Like

I still want them to make a new spectator area so you can see airplanes like the GLEX. Here’s my trip report with it out of Aspen if you want to check it out!

2 Likes

Closing tracking thread.

Please post individual topics as needed. This allows for conversations to be organized to the latest topic instead of a never-ending thread.