Fuel Shortage

Hi there, I am currently flying Paris to Hong Kong, I am in a 747, I took off with 16:30 of fuel, I am at my cruise now, at about FL330, I now have 9 hours fuel, theres no way I lost 7 hours fuel on a climb. Any suggestions?

1 Like

For how long were you climbing, +fpm, and what throttle?

Reccomend you check out these two topics by Mr DC and Mr Sandstorm, They show how to improve aircraft range and fuel planning.
Aircraft burn most fuel on climb, especially the 744 as she is a gas guzzler.
This has happened to me but once I saw these topics, I got the hang of how conserving fuel works.
Hope this helps, warm regards, 305…

2 Likes

I was climbing at about 3000FPM and at about 240 KTS until I speeded up to about 300 KTS at around FL170, I was climbing for like 10/15 Minutes

I loaded a 747 up too max fuel, for a flight from SFO to Sydney, had he same problem. Shows 19hrs but I doubt it would make 14hrs.

2 Likes

So I should just ts1achute out and try another aircraft?

You may want to climb to a more suitable flight level, possibly the recommended cruise level for 747. If all else fails, make sure you have a backup airport to divert to.

The fuel time on the ground is an estimate, take it with a pinch of salt. It is also likely that your descent will not take as much fuel and hence cancels out the climb.

4 Likes

Keep the spped at optimum. For the 747-400 it is M 0.85

1 Like

Given the flight physics in infinite flight of the 747, mach .84 is best. Trying to maintain .85 is a waste of fuel. Also climb to fl340 or fl350 at about 300fpm.

2 Likes

What would be the best cruisse altitude so far?

How long have you been flying?

1 Like

I would try searching up the flight on flight aware and see if the 747 flies that route. If so, use that altitude

Yeah… this aint working, if you see anyone of TS1 divebombing, its me btw.

1 Like

As you burn fuel you will become lighter therefore reduce the amount of fuel you need to burn so fly longer.
You have a few more hours of fuel than what is shown.

2 Likes

No use now, I ditched like I was back in TS1

Another thing I reccomend is step climbing, dont climb all at once especially with Jumbo’s like the 747. Start off at lower altitudes then climb to higher altitudes once you burn some fuel, this helps with fuel economy.

Here a guide by our dear freind DeerCrusher.

2 Likes

What are your weight settings? If you are trying to fly ultra long haul distances, keep cargo at 0 and pax less than 270

You’re too high. Drop to 290 until you’ve burnt some fuel and are light enough to climb further.

Not exactly realistic is it?

Not the most. But FL340 isn’t too high. Step climbing is a vital process. With the new physics in infinite flight, the 747 needs redone.