Fuel Conservation

So… I’m en-route to Tokyo right now from SFO and made a bit of an oopsy with the fuel. I’m not 20 mins short of the fuel I need to make it there. Is there any way I can save enough fuel to make it (I.e. Ways to conserve fuel) without diverting or ending the flight?

2 Likes

Optimum cruising altitude, follow the tailwind, and most efficient cruising speed are your best bets. What aircraft are you in?

2 Likes

One more thing. As your plane burns fuel, you will lose weight and gain time.

1 Like

Also, depending on how many engines… shutting one down in the descent can help and also a bit steeper of an idle descent will preserve on the back end.

4 Likes

I’m in the 787-10. I also figured that’d help, but I’m not sure if it’ll help enough?

I think it will. Let’s say you burn half of your total fuel. Let’s say that that saves you 10% of your total weight. That means the engines will work that much less harder, and use less fuel for the same result.

1 Like

Roger, I hope it does, otherwise ATC may have to deal with their first fuel emergency in the morining ;). I’ll see what happens, thanks Tyler and Reedsomewhatgreat.

2 Likes