Fuel Conservation Question

Hello!

I’m currently attempting the City of Canberra challenge (EGLL- YSSY on a B744) and it seems like I don’t have enough fuel to reach Sydney. I have enough fuel to fly for another 5:30 and am cruising at FL330. I have 7:00 left to fly. Should I climb, descend, or stay to conserve fuel? If you want me to climb or descend, what altitude? Should I cut an engine?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Considering you probably used up quite a lot of fuel since London, moving a few echelons up looks to be a good idea, maybe try FL370. As for cutting off engines, I’ve seen that practice used a lot on flights with ludicrous amounts of flight time, so you might want to try to switch off an engine and see if your fuel time goes up

1 Like

I’ve tried cutting an engine earlier in the flight, and that worked for the most part. I’ll climb to FL370 and then cut an engine.

You may not be able to hold FL370 with 3 engines. Can you give me your fuel remaining percentage and load? I’ll run a few quick tests for you.

2 Likes

I currently have 39500 kgs of fuel, and weigh a total of 230,800 kgs.

Okay, give me a second.

1 Like

Oh also, cruise speed?

1 Like

M0.85

As far as I can tell, there is no possible configuration right now that could get you to Sydney. However, if you drop to FL290 you can buy yourself about 30 minutes. You’ll also go slightly faster because of air density. Still won’t make it though.

1 Like

Okay. I’ll be ready to divert to Darwin. I’ll descend to FL310 and then FL290.

1 Like

I’m currently experimenting with turning off engines but these old aircraft don’t respond like the new ones do.

2 Likes

It seems like climbing to FL370 used up quite a bit of fuel as well.

I didn’t test 370 but at 350 I was already burning significantly more fuel than at 330.

1 Like

Do you think speeding up to M0.89 would help?

No. That will use more fuel.

1 Like

Like Andrew has said, there is no combination that will get you to Sydney.

The B747s are an outdated bunch. The physics are absolutely inaccurate. I would suggest ending the flight (or continue if you want the flight time and XP), then go vote for the B747 Rework if you haven’t already 😉

3 Likes

I’ve decided for a stopover in Darwin. I should arrive there in about 2:45. I would then continue on to Sydney. At least then I have the accomplishment of flying a B744 between the UK and Australia.

1 Like

3 Likes

1 Like

Where are you over currently?

1 Like