Fuel adding

Does anyone actually properly use fuel planning or do you just randomly add 2-3 hours extra and dump excess on the way?
For long flights of 12+ hours sometimes I add up to 5-6 hours extra and just dump extra on the way

1 Like

Hello @realnickchan, I personally use Simbrief, a free flight planning resource that gives accurate fuel quantities based on altitudes, winds, and aircraft type. Definitely would recommend!

6 Likes

That way too much. I’d usually add 3 hours of extra fuel from the flight time of your flight

I add 1 hour to 45min and took it. Then land with like 7min remaining

1 Like

I take 1 hour extra…to comply within ifr fuel reserves… unless I’m going into an active atc airport in which case I take 3 hours extra. 😂

1 Like

You can use fpltoif, which is a flight planning website thats uses simbrief but transforms it to something IF friendly. It gives you accurate weights, such as fuel, passengers and cargo. All you need to do is fill in all the required fields and follow strictly to that and your flight will go off without a hitch.

What aircraft are you using?

Something to consider is that (as a rule of thumb) for every amount of fuel you add to a commercial airliner, half of that fuel will be used just to carry that extra fuel. For instance, if you add 100kg of extra fuel, 50kg will be used carrying that extra fuel, so you’re only left with 50kg of fuel to actually use for extra passengers etc.

1 Like

i know sometimes if the wind is going in the right direction i add less but if the wind is in the wrong direction long haul then i add tons of extra

I always choose 45 minutes of extra fuel when making my flightplan in fpltoif.com and it’s always enough. I don’t know though wether SimBrief automatically gives you extra fuel and the extra fuel you wish is just additional extra fuel

Simbrief gives you the ‘mandatory’ amount of fuel that you need to be ‘legal’. That includes trip fuel (application of T/O thrust to touchdown), taxi fuel (stand-runway, runway-stand), contingency fuel (for unexpected event enroute such as ATC not giving your filed altitude for whatever reason, or having to divert around weather), holding fuel, diversion fuel (to fly a missed approach from minimums at your planned destination, fly to your alternate, and land), and final reserve (30 mins - this should never be used, and if a crew see that they will be using that fuel to get to the field with their current clearance, an emergency should be declared). The 'extra fuel* is at PIC discretion, and would be added if there was high traffic levels, bad weather, or anything else they see that might cause concern. This us as much as necessary per PIC discretion.

1 Like

What I do is to look at the fuel quantity it needs to be below MLW and if it is around 3 hours of fuel, then I add 2 hours and 30 min of extra fuel to the required to reach my destination. But if the MLW is higher than 4 hours of fuel, then I only add 3 extra hours to my fuel

I only take out 40 minutes of fuel extra. That usual leaves me with about an hours worth or rule when I land. I don’t get why people would add a whole 6 hours flight worth of fuel for reserve. We need to look out for the fictional environment in infinite flight.

well if a plane carries 6 hours worth of extra fuel, then it will be used on the next flight so he/she’s not wasting fuel

The proper way to plan is 30min emergency, diversion (I do 30min usually unless ATC then I do 45-60), and add 5% extra. To account for the initial climb out I just add 30 more minutes. There’s no need to take 6 more hours of fuel. Most aircraft’s flight time estimate is under what it should be anyways.

Yeah 6 hour extra and stuff like that is only to prevent missing ToD and running out of fuel

That’s true but who on infinite flight has the time to do a back and forth 6 hour flight