Frustrated, need some advice.

I’ve been on Live for over two months now and been trying to pass the ATC advanced written testing. The first time I took it, I will admit that I needed to have more time in the PG, as well as re-watch the videos on the YouTube channel. I waited the two-week period and retook the test a few minutes ago, with an improved score compared to the first time, but was 4% shy of “passing”.

As I went back to review what went wrong, two questions gave me concern on what the “correct” answer is supposed to be and what you would do in a “real-life” situation.

Here is a scenario, an aircraft is on left downwind is given the 360 command, but the test answer shows that you could tell them to turn right or left. Shouldn’t you always have the aircraft turn in the direction away from the airport? Having an aircraft on left downwind turn left could put them directly over the airport at a pattern altitude. If there are any aircraft with a missed approach, you could have a collision.

Another scenario is an aircraft is on final, a second is on right downwind, and a third is on left base. How would you sequence the second aircraft to follow the aircraft on final? The test answer was to sequence the aircraft on downwind second, and the one on left base third. Would you not give the aircraft on left base the second sequence, and the aircraft on right downwind #3 to follow the aircraft on left base? Otherwise, the aircraft on base would intersect with the aircraft on left downwind when it turns base.

Am I missing something?

2 Likes

Have you asked these questions to your recruiter? :) I’m sure he can answer them.

I did, waiting on a response. Just wanted to get some outside perspective.

Take LAX as an example. If you have two aircraft on parallel final, would you tell an aircraft on final for 25R to go left or right with an aircraft on final for 25L? @MrOX1983

1. It doesn’t matter if you tell them right or left because it’s above the airport.
  2. You tell the plane on downwind to slow down or 360 and tell him/her that they are third to land.

Okay, I didn’t think about it like that. With two aircraft on parallel final, you would have to have each one turn a different direction (one left and one right). So in that scenario that would make sense. I guess the way the question was worded I was not given enough information.

You just answered part of your question. It depends of the scenario.

You can’t. The runways are too close to do parrallel landings. But it’s infinite flight so I guess you can do it.

I’m not following @Narroc_Wim, if the aircraft is on a downwind they would not be directly above the airport. And yes that’s my point if there is one on final, one on base, and one on downwind, the aircraft on downwind is third, you wouldn’t sequence it in front of the aircraft on base.

Correct @Bylrret, that is my frustration with “standardized” tests, in this scenario given there was not enough information and I assumed that there is only one runway.

1 Like

What I mean if you have a separation of 1NM you’re not going to tell the one on 25R to go left with an aircraft on final :)

I know it’s not directly above but if it was it wouldn’t matter because pattern altitude is about 1000-1500ft AGL.

Ohh. I get it.

1 Like

I don’t remember correctly, but I’m pretty sure we are not allowed to publish questions from the written test to anyone. Doesn’t matter if passed or not. Contact your recruiter I suggest.

@LSZH34 not to be rude, but if you read the thread you would see I did contact my recruiter. And these are not the “Exact” questions, but scenarios in which I need clarification from them.

If they’re on left downwind (on the furthest left runway of an airport) then a left 360 would turn them over the airport. A right turn would clear them of the airport.

Typed that wrong, fixed. Left downwind turn left…

Well still got work to do on the practical. Stupid mistakes made by me that I norm wouldn’t make but I was nervous since I knew it was a test.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.