Front gear smoothly touching down

Hello guys…
So this is my question I really know how to make Landings but my big question is how do pilots make the front wheel smoothly touchdown the ground after the back wheels have already touch it I don’t know if I’m making myself clear but every time I see a plane land the back gear touchdown first and then they slowly and smoothly make the front wheel touchdown I always try to do that in the game but I always end up smashing two hard front wheel on the Runway…
So my question basically is if there is a proceed that I have to do on the final touchdown to make that gear smoothly touchdown the wrong way… :-)??

2 Likes

This is a common problem in IF. Many of the aircraft (A320 family especially) slam their nose down. There isn’t much you can do. However, once you touch down, continue to apply back pressure and see if that helps.
If you land with APPR, then there is no fix.

3 Likes

Main thing to do is not engage reverse thrust straight away and to wait until all wheels ar eon the ground. If you engage reverse thrust when the main wheels have contact then it will most likely slam the front ones.

1 Like

Okay that makes sense …
now I see no many videos that when the plane is just about 20 feet away from the runway they totally cut the power off of the engines is that has to do something with it?

1 Like

No. That is just to let the aircraft sink into the ground, as opposed to remain floating in the air. Back pressure and delayed reversers are pretty much the only solution as far as I know.

1 Like

Not forgetting the use of trim to what @Cameron_Stone mentioned above.

Trim is your friend.

3 Likes

That is true as well. Generally, if I get trim figured out in the air to where the back pressure I’m applying feels comfortable, I can keep the nose in the air for a bit. Sometimes I want to slam it though, usually in crosswind, as I find the rudder is more effective with the nose on the ground.

2 Likes

Just make sure to use the correct amount of trim and when you flare make sure to hold as your touching down

1 Like

Just hold the screen upwards, slowly moving it towards the surface… Just as stated above ;)

2 Likes

Okay guys I appreciate you all all that information is going to help me trying to make that soft front gear Landing I will try all that info that you guys just gave me now…
I understand that for each aircraft and each weight there is a trim setting appropriate but what would it be an estimate trim setting for doing the final touchdown

Actually spoilers cause a nose up pitching moment and oppose the de-rotation on landing. The effect of reverse is also going to cause a pitch up as the aircraft is now rotating around the wheels rather than the CofG and the engines are above the wheels.

Landing with brakes on can cause a large nose down moment so I’d advise only applying them when the nose wheel is on the ground.

As said above hold the elevator in the position it was when you touched down and as the airpseed decreases the nose should lower itself gently.

3 Likes

Usually I just put the back wheels down and then pull up but not too much so that the nose does not go back up. Make sure that your spoilers are armed because else you will end up bouncing.

1 Like

I land and keep my screen in a similar up position and just slightly angle it down and let gravity do the rest. The A330 is a great plane to practice this on :)

I just used this advice for my landing and had the best landing in my life. I should’ve listened before

1 Like

@Costaricanpilot MaxSez: Your not coordinating your “Touch Down” Pilot. A coordinated touch down in completed in 2 stages. The “Roundout” then the “Flare”. Just prior to achieving ground effect (10/20 feet) after crossing the threshold reduce power to ideal, level wings de -crabs if necessary. Ground effect happen at this stage, the craft will loose lift and settle. Trim as necessary.
When level rise the nose about 3deg this will cause a nose rise and reduced speed. When bogies (rear wheels) touch down place forward pressure on the yoke, this will lower the nose allowing the nose wheel to engage the tarmac providing a 3 point stance and a smooth transition to taxi. Engage Thrusters at this point (They will not engage until all wheels are down)
On IF if you set the brakes on Final they will engage as anti-skid/auto-brake on touch down. Release the Brake when Thrusters auto disengage (about 35-40 GS). Give it a shot, you’ve nothing to loose.
Good Luck, Max

3 Likes

Totally! I flying the A320 a lot just now, my landings are a lot better since I’ve been setting to about 20% - but it’s personal preference what setting works best for you.

2 Likes

It’s true older plane tend to slam on the runway most times. If you try new A330 the front gear touch down on slower pace on all landings… Maybe all future aircrafts will be like this.

What I do is wait until the front gear is down before engaging the flight spoilers. It works for me.

1 Like

Well, a second before touchdown, you shouldn’t idle the throttle to 0. Leave it to a certain percent so that the speed won’t fall. Just a tip. 😉

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.