From Ramp Agent to Flight Dispatcher

Good Day IFC,

As a lot of you know, I have been working as a ramp agent for the last 5 years holding multiple positions on the ramp and working for a contractor company as well as my current ramp agent role with AAG. With all the being said, recently I decided it was time for me to leave the ramp and make a change in the aviation industry. With all that being said, in October I applied to go to flight dispatcher school in Dallas, Texas and a few days ago, I learned I was accepted and have a class date of February 19th,2024. Im excited to start this new challenge in my aviation career.

I will be posting updates on this thread as time and class goes by. Leave your questions and comments below!

22 Likes

Congrats!!! Form a former Unifi (KSJC on behalf of Delta) ramper and aspiring commercial airline pilot and current college student :)!!!

Working with loadsheets/weight and balance and takeoff performance and all will get you so much closer to the technical aspects of flying! Good luck and have fun!

3 Likes

Actually decided to pursue this over becoming a commercial pilot. Working the ramp and doing weight and balance for all they planes, I liked working with the numbers and figuring things out.

1 Like

i’d love to hear about your progression! being a dispatcher has been on my list for a while and would love to see what you have to go through to get there!

1 Like

Very exciting stuff! Working on my CFI so getting closer and closer to getting to the professional industry. The excitement must be crazy! Congrats.

3 Likes

Nice! considering that, I might like this more than a pilot!

1 Like

Definetly should do it. It makes for a great career and the pay is not bad. Will be updating this thread.

2 Likes

Update Numero Uno:
Found myself a place to live for the next 6 weeks for school. Currently getting a head start on everything and reading about weather theory.

1 Like

Update 2! All moved in for my 6 weeks. Start class on monday

congratulations! best of luck

1 Like

thanks. hoping to update this thread a few times a week

1 Like

Congratulations! Also, interesting thread idea. I look forward to reading.

I didn’t know much (or anything) about the position other than what I thought I could reasonably assume from the position title. But then you mentioned weather theory (so I had to read a bit).

Reading further, I didn’t necessarily expect:

“The FAA ATP and the FAA Dispatcher (ADX) written exams are similar.”

" In the United States and Canada, the flight dispatcher shares legal responsibility with the commander of the aircraft."

“They are in constant communication with the air crew.”

“Shared responsibility adds a layer of checks and balances to aircraft operation and greatly improves safety.”

source: Flight dispatcher - Wikipedia

Sounds like an awesome time you’re going to have.

Good luck!

1 Like

Yep your pretty much right on the nose. We have a few more duties before a flight can leave the gate.

1 Like

Day 1 of class is over! Consist of a lot of information! We went over weather, regulations, approach plates, ETOPS and a whole bunch of other interesting topics! Below is all of the books and binders I have for the whole 5 weeks!

1 Like

Week 1 complete. Its a ton of information slammed into 5 weeks. I have been doing practice ADX exams and passed my first one today. Could be testing as early as tuesday next week

MAJOR UPDATE! Took my ADX written today and got a PASS! One step closer to being a flight dispatcher! Now it’s time to practice for the Oral and practical

Update!!! Have my first interview with Kalitta Air next week!!!

1 Like

Good luck!!

1 Like

Thanks you

1 Like

Another update… Currently in week 5. Going over how to build flight plans and I’m currently interviewing with a few different companys. Should hopefully have a CJO soon

1 Like