From Fog to Sunset | Munich Spotting October 21, 2018

With the summer flight schedule coming to an end next weekend many equipment changes will occur at Munich and many flights will be stopped until next year in spring. For that reason I made my way to Munich Airport again for a spotting session yesterday even though the weather was rather cloudy and foggy for a long time.

One of the flights that will be downgraded from next week is the rotation from and to Kuwait City served by Kuwait Airways. While the flight used to be operated by a Boeing 777-300 during the summer months it has already been downgraded to the Airbus A330-200 you see taking off here. Effective next week, the flight will again be operated by an Airbus A320 during the winter.

While the Boeing 757-300 used to be a workhorse for Condor at Munich for quite some time it will soon disappear from the airport. Effective with the summer schedule 2019, the 757 fleet of Condor will be moved to other airports since Condor’s maintenance base at Munich will be closed. Since Condor mostly operates from Munich during the summer the 757 will most likely become a rare sight from next week already.

However, Condor will not entirely leave Munich next year. Instead of the 757, the Airbus A321 will be based at the airport. That’s because the A320 and A321 fleets are maintained by Lufthansa Technik. One of the first A321s in Munich (D-AIAG) seen taking off.

A service that will not continue during the winter is Cyprus Airways from Larnaca. Bet the weather in Cyprus was way better than at Munich yesterday ;)

At some point a kind of zombie appeared for departure to Crete. Small Planet Germany went bankrupt this summer so I wasn’t expecting to see the flight that was still showing on Flightradar’s departure board.

As I already mentioned in my September 30 topic, Thai Airways will soon end their 747 operations. Munich actually was the last scheduled 747 destination of the airline. With the change of schedules the last passenger version of the Queen of the Skies will leave Munich forever.

After all these changes and farewells let’s come to services that will not end next week. One plane with special stickers promoting the World Youth Forum was Egyptair’s Boeing 737-800 (SU-GEG) that can be seen burning quite some rubber while the weather was already getting better for the special guest many people were waiting for.

Wonder who that special guest was? It was Emirates’ A380 promoting the 2020 EXPO taking place in Dubai. It took me quite some time to catch the first of three A380’s flying around the world with colorful designs. After the bad weather during the day, the clouds lifted right in time for the departure of the whale creating a great shot of the takeoff in the sunset.

As the end of my trip to the airport I eventually changed my position to spot Lufthansa’s first A340-600 (D-AIHI) in the new livery inbound from San Francisco. This plane is the only one based in Munich that already wears the updated blue (and it indeed doesn’t look that black anymore)

The final arrival I wanted to catch was ANA’s dreamliner inbound from Tokio. With daylight saving time ending in time together with the summer schedule and days becoming shorter and shorter due to the upcoming winter this will probably be the last ANA 787 I could photograph this year due to its late arrival time.

That’s my ten pics of yesterday I can post here. If you want to see more of my spotting pictures, check out twitter where I’ll also add more pictures of today.

42 Likes

These look great! What camera do you use?

1 Like

Spectacular shots @Moritz! The Lufthansa A350 looks great behind the Small Planet A320.

1 Like

Good shots as always! You need to get an Instagram, just sayin 😉

1 Like

Ooh! I love that Eygptair picture! Nice shots!

1 Like

I actually have, i just don’t have the time to post 😆

1 Like

Lovely pictures! Can’t wait to see your next adventure!

1 Like

Great photos! Im a huge fan of your Spoting! Just some friendly criticism, you spelled Tokyo wrong! Anyway, great photos! Would love to see some photos of private aircraft as well.

1 Like

Whoops, just chose the German version 👀 I actually had some private jets in my last topic: https://community.infinite-flight.com/t/munich-spotting-september-30-2018

1 Like

Those private jets look great! That bombardier is really short! Wow 😳

1 Like

I know, kinda looks like the photoshopped pics of the totally short A318 haha i actually had tons of Business Jets that day but well, 10 pics max ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Awesome photos and I love the commentary! That A380 is a beauty! Great work!

1 Like

It’s Tokyo lol but the way,there were so many beautiful Lufthansa A350s in the back ground,and so many Lufthansa’s lined up 😍

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.