From Fog to Sunset | Munich Spotting October 21, 2018

With the summer flight schedule coming to an end next weekend many equipment changes will occur at Munich and many flights will be stopped until next year in spring. For that reason I made my way to Munich Airport again for a spotting session yesterday even though the weather was rather cloudy and foggy for a long time.

One of the flights that will be downgraded from next week is the rotation from and to Kuwait City served by Kuwait Airways. While the flight used to be operated by a Boeing 777-300 during the summer months it has already been downgraded to the Airbus A330-200 you see taking off here. Effective next week, the flight will again be operated by an Airbus A320 during the winter.
9K-APC

While the Boeing 757-300 used to be a workhorse for Condor at Munich for quite some time it will soon disappear from the airport. Effective with the summer schedule 2019, the 757 fleet of Condor will be moved to other airports since Condor’s maintenance base at Munich will be closed. Since Condor mostly operates from Munich during the summer the 757 will most likely become a rare sight from next week already.
D-ABOG

However, Condor will not entirely leave Munich next year. Instead of the 757, the Airbus A321 will be based at the airport. That’s because the A320 and A321 fleets are maintained by Lufthansa Technik. One of the first A321s in Munich (D-AIAG) seen taking off.
D-AIAG

A service that will not continue during the winter is Cyprus Airways from Larnaca. Bet the weather in Cyprus was way better than at Munich yesterday ;)
5B-DCW

At some point a kind of zombie appeared for departure to Crete. Small Planet Germany went bankrupt this summer so I wasn’t expecting to see the flight that was still showing on Flightradar’s departure board.
D-ASPK

As I already mentioned in my September 30 topic, Thai Airways will soon end their 747 operations. Munich actually was the last scheduled 747 destination of the airline. With the change of schedules the last passenger version of the Queen of the Skies will leave Munich forever.
HS-TGB

After all these changes and farewells let’s come to services that will not end next week. One plane with special stickers promoting the World Youth Forum was Egyptair’s Boeing 737-800 (SU-GEG) that can be seen burning quite some rubber while the weather was already getting better for the special guest many people were waiting for.
SU-GEG

Wonder who that special guest was? It was Emirates’ A380 promoting the 2020 EXPO taking place in Dubai. It took me quite some time to catch the first of three A380’s flying around the world with colorful designs. After the bad weather during the day, the clouds lifted right in time for the departure of the whale creating a great shot of the takeoff in the sunset.
A6-EOA_JP

As the end of my trip to the airport I eventually changed my position to spot Lufthansa’s first A340-600 (D-AIHI) in the new livery inbound from San Francisco. This plane is the only one based in Munich that already wears the updated blue (and it indeed doesn’t look that black anymore)
D-AIHI

The final arrival I wanted to catch was ANA’s dreamliner inbound from Tokio. With daylight saving time ending in time together with the summer schedule and days becoming shorter and shorter due to the upcoming winter this will probably be the last ANA 787 I could photograph this year due to its late arrival time.
JA891A

That’s my ten pics of yesterday I can post here. If you want to see more of my spotting pictures, check out twitter where I’ll also add more pictures of today.

42 Likes
A Cold Day in the Fog (and more...) | Munich, December 6, 2019
Spotting on a Sunny Evening in Heathrow | London, June 14, 2019
I can stop whenever I want! | Munich, October 18, 2019
Spotting special planes | Munich - November 02/03, 2018
A Spotting Week in Times of COVID-19 | Munich, June 1 & 3, 2020
London Calling | Munich/London, June 14, 2019
Retro Time | Munich, March 06, 2019
Valentine's Spotting - Old, New and Special | Munich, February 14, 2019
Quick Spotting Trip for an Old Lady | Munich, March 27, 2019
Military 747 Charter Pt.2 | Munich, April 16, 2019
Catching the Retros - Rainy End of a 3 Day Spotting Trip | London, June 16, 2019
VIP Spotting and New Perspectives | Munich, August 8, 2019
Back in the Alps | Innsbruck, March 16, 2019
Another Spotting Trip to the North | Berlin, August 29/30, 2019
Sunny Fall Spotting | Munich - November 10, 2018
A Bit of Spotting and some Experiments | Munich, November 24, 2019
Racing for the specials | Munich, December 19, 2019
That didn't go as planned... | Munich, December 18, 2019
What to do after work... | Munich, October 10, 2019
Hunting an Icon and Tons of Private Jets | Zurich, January 21, 2020
There's also normal traffic at Zurich?! | Zurich, January 21, 2020
Air Force One Ramp Tour | Zurich, January 21, 2020
Spotting AGAIN?! | Munich, October 12, 2019
Getting trolled at the Airport | Munich, January 14, 2020
This is getting out of hand | Munich, January 9, 2020
End of the first spotting decade (I promise!) | December 29, 2019
Heavy Contrasts | Munich, January 31, 2020
As nerdy as it can get | January 6, 2020
Five Specials and a Debut | Munich, September 29, 2019
A New Perspective | Munich, March 5, 2020
A Bumpy Start into a Great Weekend | Munich, February 13/14, 2020
The Highlights of Saturday at Munich Security Conference | Munich, February 15, 2020
A little bonus: Etihad 787-9 "Choose China" | Munich, February 28, 2020
End of the Security Conference Spotting Weekend | Munich, February 16, 2020
A Final Spotting Trip | Munich, March 19, 2020
Spotting A Bunch of New Airlines | Frankfurt, June 12, 2020
Sunset Spotting for a First Visit | Munich, May 27, 2020
Back at the Airport | Munich, May 03/06, 2020
A Noisy Prop from the East | Leipzig, May 16th, 2020
A little more spotting | Munich (not the airport though), May 9, 2020
Farewell, Pretty Bird | Munich, May 19, 2020
Early Morning Cargo Movements | Munich, June 24th, 2020
Two Weeks of Summer Spotting | Munich, August 9 - 20, 2020
Watching White Whales | Ingolstadt/Neuburg, July 23, 2020
Being Grilled While Spotting a Special Freighter | Munich, August 8, 2020
More Special Than Regular Movements | Munich, July 3, 2020
A New Spotting Experience With Several Specials | Ingolstadt & Neuburg, July 06 & 07, 2020
A Few More Days of Specials After My Holidays | Munich, September 16-18, 2020
Munich Security Conference Spotting | February 14, 2019
Summer Spotting Ending With Amazing Evening Light | Munich, July 29, 2020
Returning to the South and the Visit of an Old Lady | Munich, July 17, 2020
From Dawn till Dusk | Munich, June 7, 2019
London Heathrow Meetup Spotting | London, June 15, 2019
Winter Charter Madness | Innsbruck, March 09, 2019
Two Days of Munich Specials and a Little Throwback | Munich, August 28/29, 2020
Spotting in the Morning Sun | Munich, May 10, 2019
Avianca Inaugural Spotting in Golden Light | Munich - November 18, 2018
A Crazy Spotting Trip | Frankfurt, August 22, 2019

These look great! What camera do you use?

1 Like

Spectacular shots @Moritz! The Lufthansa A350 looks great behind the Small Planet A320.

1 Like

Good shots as always! You need to get an Instagram, just sayin 😉

1 Like

Ooh! I love that Eygptair picture! Nice shots!

1 Like

I actually have, i just don’t have the time to post 😆

1 Like

Lovely pictures! Can’t wait to see your next adventure!

1 Like

Great photos! Im a huge fan of your Spoting! Just some friendly criticism, you spelled Tokyo wrong! Anyway, great photos! Would love to see some photos of private aircraft as well.

1 Like

Whoops, just chose the German version 👀 I actually had some private jets in my last topic: https://community.infiniteflight.com/t/munich-spotting-september-30-2018

1 Like

Those private jets look great! That bombardier is really short! Wow 😳

1 Like

I know, kinda looks like the photoshopped pics of the totally short A318 haha i actually had tons of Business Jets that day but well, 10 pics max ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Awesome photos and I love the commentary! That A380 is a beauty! Great work!

1 Like

It’s Tokyo lol but the way,there were so many beautiful Lufthansa A350s in the back ground,and so many Lufthansa’s lined up 😍

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.