From Dawn till Dusk | Munich, June 7, 2019

Good morning/evening/day/night everyone,

it’s that time again - another special occasion saw me going to Munich Airport for some spotting. Well, in fact “some spotting” doesn’t really tell the truth. I used this Friday for what was probably the longest spotting trip I’ve ever done. A 15 hour trip with 12h spotting time and 7 different spotting locations not only resulted in a sun burn but also in 520 pics I reduced to a selection of 140 pictures of approximately 120 unique registrations. As you know the rules of the spotting category, you’ll only see a first tiny glimpse of 10 pictures - as you can imagine a tough decision. More images will come on my social media accounts over the next few weeks.

The reason for me to go to the airport at 6 am was the first arrival of American’s Boeing 787 from Dallas which arrived along with many other heavies from North America such as this mighty Air Canada Boeing 777-300ER.

My early arrival furthermore allowed me to finally take a proper image of Lufthansa’s first repainted A340-600, D-AIHI named “Mönchengladbach” (one of the shorter German words we have)

You might wonder why I talk about the American flight just to show you a different plane - Well, the more spectacular view could be witnessed upon departure. Even though backlit, Munich’s central observation hill offered a great view onto the N1/N2 taxiway bridges where the fire fighters were awaiting the departing Dreamliner for a water salute.

The observation hill not only offers a view of taxiways and apron though. With good weather, it allows you to take pictures of arriving aircraft in front of the hostoric “skyline” of the city of Freising which can be seen in this pic of the first repainted A350 - D-AIXI called “Dortmund”.

From the second location of the day right to the third one to give you the best variety possible. Since last week and the end of Ramadan, the airlines from the Middle East such as Kuwait Airways and Saudia have once again upgraded their Munich flights to wide bodies such as this Airbus A330.

After my short lunch break (in the drive-in of the airport’s McDonalds) I slightly changed my location for a different angle of arriving traffic for runway 08R such as this Etihad Boeing 777.

Right after this pic, I had to relocate again rather quickly since a special visitor popped up in my FlightRadar24 alerts. Lufthansa had once again dispatched their Airbus A320 named after the German city of Sindelfingen. Obviously, that’s not exactly what this plane is known for. The reason for its popularity are the special titles Lufthansa applied a month ago to promote the EU as well as the European election on May 26th all across Europe - “Say yes to Europe”.

Now lets get to the final three images of the day. Another relocation brought me to the southern runway for some super heavy traffic. Emirates had once again brought one of their EXPO A380s to Munich which climbed out right in front of me offering a stunning view.

After the longest break of the day, my 1 hour dinner at the Terminal, I went back to my initial spot for some arrivals during sunset. Two special planes were still due to arrive.
The first one which arrived at 7pm, was a heavy upgrade for a rather short route. Usually, the hourly flights between Frankfurt and Munich are performed using A319s, A320s and A321s. Due to operational reasons, these flights get regular upgrades at the moment bringing back planes that left Munich for Frankfurt at the beginning of the summer schedule (A330s) or haven’t been to Munich for a long time. For LH116, the schedule announced D-AIGS - a Lufthansa A340-300 named after the city of Bergisch-Gladbach.

The last plane I can show you today doesn’t wear a special livery but is a rare plane nevertheless. Since last fall, Wideroe is servicing the Bergen-Munich route three times a week. Since the arrival of this plane is scheduled for 8 pm it’s almost impossible to get a decent shot of the plane during the winter season, so Friday was the first time I actually got a picture of one of the latest aircraft on the market - Embraer’s E190-E2.

I’d love to continue here since I have many great shots left such as A320neos of LH as well as British Airways, a freshly painted A380 of Lufthansa slowing down and many more movements in the morning and evening light. But as you know, you can find more pictures on my Instagram , twitter and jetphotos.com page. Of course you can also still check out my other spotting topics here on the IFC:

Spring Spotting 1
Spring Spotting 2 with Lorenzo
Spring Spotting 3 (feat. Hekla Aurora)
August spotting with some sunrise shots
September 30 with quite some special liveries and bizjets
Spotting in Zurich on the way to Cosford
Spotting Laura and more in Birmingham
Spotting in fog with a sunny end
Special planes at Munich - Munich Security Conference feat. E-4B
Valentine’s Spotting 2019 - Civil Traffic around the Munich Security Conference
Retro Time - British Airways BEA A319
First weekend in Innsbruck - Charter Flights in the Alps
Second Innsbruck Spotting Weekend
Bringing Israeli soldiers to Munich - El Al 747
Another visit of ElAl’s queen - El Al 747
Spotting in the Morning Sun - South African Special Livery A340-300

TL;DR service for @dush19: By now you should know what this topic might be about

66 Likes

@Moritz, they’re lovely! Great work :)

For some reason, this one really pops out to me. They’re all fantastic, but I especially like this one.

Can’t wait for your next spotting topic ;)

9 Likes

A spotters dream!
Great shots of all those heavies you get there!

1 Like

Dang 10 photo rule! There should be an exception for these photos!

2 Likes

Inaccurate title. 2.4/10

6 Likes

Do I even want to know the longer words? lol

The phrase “Each photo holds a thousand words” is a complete understatement. This is a completely new level of spotting! <3. Can’t wait to see more on here and your Instagram.

1 Like

Wow Moritz, these are amazing! I especially love the Lufthansa A350 and American 787! I always love seeing your work! Keep it up!

1 Like

Wow your good man nice pictures I love the E2 by the way.

1 Like

There are some things that just happen after 12h of Editing at 2am 🤣

The longest word in the dictionary actually has 36 letters and reads Kraftfahrzeughaftpflichtversicherung 😉 but we can still compose even longer words 😬

Apart from that, thank you 🙂 with the Heathrow community meetup coming closer it’ll be only a short wait until the next spotting topic will pop up here 😉

1 Like

Oh yeah, this time the decision for the 10 pics was indeed a really tough one!

I guess when it comes to heavies this topic will look poor when I’m back from my Heathrow trip 👀 stay tuned for that!

Thanks 😄 (even though the 350 is actually one of the worse shots due to the slight heat haze 😜)

Thank you! I wish the sun was better on the water salute image but that occasion nevertheless was worth the trip already.

Thank you! It was a long wait for the E2 but after more than half a year the route exists it was about time to finally catch it. And I mean, look at that lovely light there 👀

3 Likes

Nice photos. 👍

1 Like

Yeah, no plans for me to learn German any time soon. 😬

I’m counting on it 😉

Haha, bummer 😂

Now let’s just hope the weather doesn’t decide to be British next weekend 😂

1 Like

That Lufthansa a350 looks amazing! Great work!

1 Like

Moritz, check this out!

8 Likes

Beautiful Planes! I managed to see Lufthansa’s new A350 overhead after it departed CLT. Couldn’t get a pic though, as I wasn’t ready. Reckon it was the same A350? The other pics are great too! Happy sporting! 😄👍🏻😃😎

1 Like

Nice pic 👍🏽

1 Like

Well, not necessarily but chances aren’t that bad that it actually was -XI. By now, 5 350s wear the new livery (4 using the initial blue, 1 (XM) with the new color)

1 Like

The A350 is an absolute yum. Have flown the LH A350 on long-haul and it was amazing. So stable in-flight and seemed incredibly maneuvrable.

1 Like