From airport ghost towns to now 30 flights a day in New Zealand and Australia, as they begin quarantine free travel

A big day for Australia and New Zealand people can now travel both ways between the two countries without quarantine. It is the first time in over a year Australians can leave the country without exemption. The bubble means the old 14 day quarantine Australians had to do in New Zealand is now gone.

Until late last year, the same rules applied to Australians coming from New Zealand as they do to anyone arriving in Australia. A 14 day $3000 quarantine. In October last year Australia opened the one way border for NSW and NT to New Zealand with other states slowly being added (the last being Western Australia which opened the border to New Zealand today.) But it has had bumps along the way with Australia closing the border to New Zealand following outbreaks of COVID-19 in New Zealand.

The bubbe also means the resumption of flights between Tasmania and New Zealand for the first time in 23 years.

Overall the opening means families can reunited, Australians can look at an overseas holiday in New Zealand, whilst the rest of the world is banned from entering New Zealand, potentially till 2022 due to slow rollouts of vaccines in New Zealand and also Australia.

14 Likes

I’m really glad that the aviation industry is going back to normal!!!

We are not far away from flying normally again in the world!!!

1 Like

Also in the past 30 minutes, the first flight bound for New Zealand where quarantine will not be needed

2 Likes

Let’s hope it will stay that way. At least it’s progress 🇦🇺🛫🛬 🇳🇿
Thanks for sharing @AndrewRG10

2 Likes

Can’t wait to get a flight to Australia sadly to poor for the flight :(

2 Likes

It won’t be any time soon if you are thinking of international flights. Its likely to resume sometime in 2022 depending on the vaccine programmes success and variants not threating to unravel the efforts to contain covid.
Hence its a waiting game for everyone😢

Hoping to go to Australia in July😀

1 Like

I live in NZ but yea can’t wait for international flight to open so I can fly to the UK to see my mates and for them to come over here

1 Like

Looks like aviation in getting back normal. In the states the airlines already are packing the planes up like normal on all 8 of my flights this year.

1 Like

And the good news keeps coming, Hobart is once again set to become an international airport with flights to and from New Zealand. All possible due to the covid safe nature of the two countries.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.