Friday Night Flight - South African Flying Spree @ FACT - 270700ZJUL18

I woke up and realized I somehow fell 60-80 miles behind you guys…

Anyways, just cranked it up to mach .90 in an attempt to catch back up.

2 Likes

Haha, time to speed i guess!

Well i just turned away from a PC monitor only to see Damian nosing up behind me at FL350 and i’m flying slower than him so… i had to ascend to FL370 and now Deer is sniffing up my rear at FL370, so i might as well begin my descend slowly down to FACT.

I thought i’d be sitting at the Gate watching you guys land, but it looks like it’ll be the other way around…

1 Like

I forgot to set my cruise speed before I went to sleep, so I was going slightly slower than you guys which made a big difference in the long run. I’m currently an hour and a half out but I sped up to 0.85 to make up the time.

1 Like

I’m going to descend in 5 mins or so. And yeah the A346 cruises at M0.82 so Damian and Deer caught up to me on the same altitude a me.

2 Likes

Who is IPP DennisP? Approach controller at FACT right now

1 Like

That would be @Dennis_preuss I believe. He’s doing a terrific job currently!

4 Likes

FACT Airport Ground NOTAM:

You should expect a 1-3 minute delay upon requesting pushback. Because of how the departure queue forms, 80% of the gates are unable to push.

4 Likes

On my Way to FNF @Trio working the airspace setting up a perfect approach very scenic😬!

6 Likes

I’m sensing a FACT-EGLL flight coming on :D

2 Likes

can someone tell me what is the name in ifc of the approach controller ?

1 Like

Right now it is @Haspro.

1 Like

I can do longest haul tonight

1 Like

I just wanted to shout out my fellow expert server ATC @Trio for absolutely exceptional approach work at FACT. Managing a tremendously busy airspace like that isn’t for everyone, but he took on that challenge twice today and tackled it.
Earlier this morning, I was working tower/ground while he was Approach. He is absolutely amazing!

6 Likes

Amazing work by @trio on FACT appr. Deserves some serious props for managing all that traffic on a single runway 👏.

7 Likes

Thanks guys, that was a lot of fun. Time flies! 🙂

imageimageimage

6 Likes

Awesome FNF, great seeing all the A340’s out enjoying the Africa scenery

3 Likes

Starry midnight departure from Cape Town was truly beautiful.

Queues for taxi at FACT a few hours ago…

(I think it took me 27 minutes to get from gate pushback to taxing onto the runway and takeoff)

(Im the 777-200ER second in line behind the Kenya 788)

Lol

Also EXTREMELY well done to @Trio for managing the approach traffic yesterday.

Seriously good job! You would be given a ‘Headmaster’s Praise’ at my school :)

3 Likes

@Captain_Slow
Images taken with my cellphone of last night’s eclipse from Cape Town International Airport