Friday Night Flight - GA Mountain Challenge

This week is a general aviation special with a challenge that is focused on the Cessna 172 in the high elevation mountainous side of the Denver region.
No specific flight plan necessary, go ahead with free flight VFR.

Be aware of your surroundings especially if you opt for the Cessna 172 challenge. The 172 has design limitations that will require pilots to stick to flying through the mountain passes around the taller mountains, not over. Can you find the way without stalling and becoming part of the mountainside permennt scenery? Too scary? Go ahead and use the Cessna 208 or the Cirrus SR 22. They have the power to pull up from disaster.
Feeling super confident? Try the Super Decathlon.
See the NOTAM below for general flight suggestions of airports to select flying to or from. Also find the Cessna 172 Challenege in the NOTAM.

As a reminder, we are extending the event duration another 6 hours. Start times are the same as all past events and will go on an extra 6 hours. This is being done at the requests by many of our fans on the other side of the planet who want to participate but couldn’t because events ended too soon for them. We hope this extension will meet with your approval.

14 full hours to join and enjoy this event.

NOTAM:
Fly to or from the following airports. Free Flight / VFR Conditions
KEGE Eagle Co.Rgnl.
KASE Aspen Pitkin
KGWS Glenwood Springs
KGUC Gunnison Crested Butte
KMTJ Montrose Rgnl
Any of these airports will provide a nice challenge and view. Good luck!

• Cessna 172 challenge
Start at KEGE find your way through the mountain passes to KGUC.
This is not a straight line, and may take time.
OR try the same but with the Super Decathlon.
Good luck!

An ALL servers event. You can choose your level of participation by selecting the server you want.

•Free Flight Server - No violations. Very relaxed environment.

•ATC Playground Server - Violations apply, no ATC Ghosting. Try your best.

•ATC Advanced Server - All violations and rules are strictly enforced. Serious pilots fly here. Be sure to follow event procedures to avoid being ghosted.

Feel free to participate any time during the start and stop times.

• Friday October 30th 2015

• Event Start Time - 19:30 ZULU (12:30PM PDT)

• Event End Time - 09:30 ZULU Saturday Oct 31st (2:30AM PDT Saturday Oct 31st)

• Region Of The Week: Denver

• Aircraft type: GA / Props only or Max Size Cessna Citation X

Share your event experiences and photos

8 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I’ll definitely be there.

2 Likes

3 Likes

I’m in!

Here we go, @Maxmustang !

2 Likes

Just did KEGE to KGUC in the C172. Can’t make it tomorrow unfortunately.
It’s getting breezy south of KASE at 10k or above. Had 16kt winds with gusts. Took about 45mins.

2 Likes

See you all there!

1 Like

4 Likes

There will be staffed ATC. Can’t be sure of the times exactly but the airports will have controllers most of the time.

2 Likes

Can we use the Cirrus?

Going to try my best to be there! Awesomeness flying in the mountains! Can’t wait, so I’m going now …

Finished my test run in the Super D. There is a cool valley to fly through from KGWS into KEGE. Walled in on both sides.

2 Likes

Would it be cheating to use this? VFR Map of the area

I don’t think so because people who always fly in the same eregion get a mental map and remember everything anyway.

I blame no one for this :-P

Looks good.

Are IFAO pilots allowed to come In a C750?

What is IFAO?

Infinite Flight Airline Organization. For further details, p.m. Rotate, HV9690, Henrik_B or Swang007

Ok thank you