Frame Rate

Is it likely that 120Hz enabled devices will support 120fps maximum frame rate in Infinite Flight as modern tablets/smartphones switch to LTPO and OLED displays? This is lost potential as Infinite Flight could be making use of these high quality screen panels.

1 Like

I’m thinking the same thing too. Some games today now support 120Hz and 90Hz settings but I don’t know if they can do that for Infinite Flight. Just hope they will add in the future updates 🤔

The issue that comes with that is IF relies on the CPU power a high percent of the time to stream the ground data to your phone to save on storage space on your device. With doing that it requires extra CPU power to produce higher resolutions. Also Im not sure exactly the details on this but the earth data in infinite flight is all a set resolution so having higher resolutions would only effect the aircraft if my memory serves me correct. (I should mention that the earth data does not include airports. those are a whole different thing.)

2 Likes

I tried using 120hz when I first got my new phone, and it worked ok with IF. However the battery drain was noticably higher.

So I switched to 60hz and cannot see any real difference in the smoothness of the visuals. It seems to me that IF is not really taking advantage of the higher refresh rate, so Ive left it at 60hz now to gain the extra battery life.

Was this an android phone? I currently have the 2020 iPad Pro which is 120Hz enabled but I don’t have the option to put the frames to use with the current Infinite Flight build, I even have my screen statistics enabled and it still states “60fps” in the top left corner.

1 Like

Yes, its a Samsung Galaxy S20FE, on Android 11.

The settings I referred to were the OS refresh rate… The IF settings are only for 30 or 60hz.

My phone OS offered 60 or 120. But I couldnt see any difference at 120hz… I have kept both now at 60hz.

In my opinion it‘s not.

Yes that is because IF does not support 120FPS. In general, aviation simulation has its optimum between 30 and 60 frames. You will not gain anything if you‘d fly on 120 or 240 FPS. Also no mobile device is able to maintain good performance with this frame rate.

If you want better visuals itself, don’t worry about frames. The sharpness of the textures is the most important.

1 Like

On other apps I noticed that the 120hz setting made vertical scrolling smoother, not really affecting horizontal movement, and most moving around in IF is left to right, so maybe we don’t lose much anyway.

What is nice to have though is smooth scanning movements in the cockpit, looking out left to right… Any jerkiness can spoil the illusion. I’m lucky that my device can run the sim at 60 fps and with all graphics settings at high, and I still get fairly smooth scanning movements in the cockpit, and also out in the ‘normal’ scenic view.

The 3D buildings dont really impact negatively I find… What causes lag or reduced framerates I find is when there are lots of other aircraft around and radio comms going on.

1 Like

I agree, 120Hz does give a more realistic experience, as the higher the frame rate, the more immersive the simulation is with the real world, not to mention, most devices that have OLED/LTPO panels will have a higher end CPU/Chip to support the panel which effectively allows you to have increased graphics with a smoother experience which is the ultimate experience for any IF user

Here is a response to a similar request posted some time ago, I would say it still stands true that 120Hz isn’t a viable option currently in the simulator.

I will always argue that a consistent 30 or a consistent 60 is a more important frame rate than anything higher. You will be hard pressed to find ANY simulator in the world that runs at a 120Hz frame rate, because in a lot of cases it can either A) accelerate the simulation rate or B) completely overload the hardware at hand.

30FPS is the unspoken sweet spot for any flight simulator, 60fps is smooth enough and honestly just a bonus on top of that. Above 90Hz, the difference is barely visual and just at the point of diminishing returns.

3 Likes

Interesting topic. I found there’s a psychology-of-vision term about what you can actually perceive is called " Flicker fusion threshold".

Check out the short Wikipedia section 2.1 “Display frame rates”:

It seems that what you can actually perceive tapers off pretty quickly after a couple dozen or so fps. HD tv takes advantage of this brain perception limitation as do movies, and the flicker of light bulbs on AC power etc.

The speed for the calculation workload to transform the scenery data set to your user perspective, each frame, though is typically what sets the speed limit.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.