Forgotten something mate?

So, here’s a little anecdote I read about a few weeks ago. A friend of a friend (If you will) was flying once from gatwick to a place I will not try and name simply because: I fail to remember. The plane, began its turn to line up with the runway for a straight out departure. As the plane began to accelerate down the runway heading for a V1 rotate, he suddenly heard the aircraft’s engines rev abnormally high for a usual takeoff, to his surprise the engines began to detach and reverse thrusters were a go go go. The plane had made an emergency stop while midway down the runway, oh dear. At this point you can imagine the look on the passengers’ faces, priceless I can imagine. Sure enough, the pilot had forgotten something rather important.

Wait for it…

He forgot to set takeoff flaps (Sorry for the anti-climax)

Once the flaps began to drop, the throttle was set and the plane was on its way. No big deal, everything is fine. Except your flying with a pilot that forgot something that is, well, pretty important. He added at the bottom if he should notify the airline and let them know that one of their pilots did a boo boo.

Thought I’d let you know, as we were earlier discussing when to set takeoff flaps, well certainly not midway down the runway folks! Anyway, what is your verdict? Would you let it slide, perhaps give the guy/girl a break, could just be having a bad day? We all have those? Even if it could end tragically. Or would you notify the airline? Tough one. I’ll keep my verdict silent.

For the record this was true, to my understanding!

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Haha, I’m guessing your verdict here would be guilty?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

That was again sarcasm, but mustn’t forget this is a pretty big thing, before taxi the captain asks for takeoff flaps and the First officer is to set them accordingly. Would of thought the alarm would have been sounded.

1 Like

This would have been reported to the AAIB and there should be a report on it. Basically it should have been noted when the before takeoff checklist.

1 Like

Seems like they would need to go back to gate and refuel right

Not really. The main thing that would stop a taxi back and immediate take-off is allowing the brakes to cool from the aborted take-off which may mean waiting somewhere off the runway for a bit.

Very true ATK,

Though i read that the aircraft continued its takeoff procedure. Which i thought was possibly even worse!

Un related I found a flash light in the wing of a PA-28 last night.

1 Like

Hahahaha! That’s brilliant.

I don’t believe the flaps were the reason for the Rejected Takeoff. What kind of aircraft was he? Commercial aircraft are fitted with a Takeoff Warning System (TOWS) which sounds a horn if the aircraft is throttled up to takeoff power without proper flaps / slats configuration. This horn wouldve sounded well before he was halfway down the runway. There’s a famous Delta flight that crashed due to not having flaps set and the TOWS horn not working I believe

And he’s definitely not just starting his takeoff again from halfway down the runway for some un-calculated super short field takeoff!

1 Like

What airline??? Or would you rather not say???

My verdict is a tall tale, one, engines don’t detach, the cowlings open exposing the reverse screen. Two, the pilots would’ve set TOGA/FLEX and then the systems would start warning the pillows that they have inadequate flaps set. So if they wouldn’t make it 1000 feet before they stop. Probably a indication requiring a abort, with LGW’s long runway, halfway is 5500 feet, plenty of room for a 320 to takeoff. The pilots most likely ran the takeoff data again and found that they still had enough room to take off form there.

I’m assuming either easyjet or BA’s 734s.

Believe me I’m just as surprised about the immediate takeoff as you are, I’m hoping it was a smaller aircraft. There wasn’t much information provided, though I assume the TOWS was dismissed or wasn’t working.l

I’m afraid he didn’t specify which airline probably for that particular reason. But according to him it happened, whether he got in touch with the airline I will not know, I would of thought he would, clearly there was an issue with one of the warning initiators in this case the flaps not being extended.

Flaps 1 is a legal config on the 734 and 763 IIRC, the passengers won’t see an appreciable change in the flaps.