For those in Detroit - The 225 is coming your way

The AN225 will be heading to DTW Saturday. It Will be parking in the 27L pad. Unsure on arrival time at this time.
The AN225 is the worlds largest aircraft and only one operates. The aircraft was built by the Soviet Union for their space shuttle program and now is used to transport awkward cargo around the world!

19 Likes

I think this plane is really wierd who owns it and where is it from

Whys that?

It’s so gigantic

It just looks funny in my opinion

The Antonov An-225 Mriya is a strategic airlift cargo aircraft that was designed by the Antonov Design Bureau in the Ukrainian SSR within the Soviet Union during the 1980s. It is powered by six turbofan engines and is the heaviest aircraft ever built, with a maximum takeoff weight of 640 tonnes.

1 Like

Antonov themselves own it. They have a division of their company dedicated to this plane and the AN-124. They were formerely owned by the Soviet Union for carrying their take on the Space Shuttle, the Buran.

1 Like

Please divert to CVG. Please divert to CVG. Please divert to CVG. Plea…

18 Likes

What do you mean by awkward cargo?

1 Like

Very large, unusual cargo pieces.

3 Likes

Oh ok, that makes sense.

1 Like

I have family in Detroit, but they are not as interested in aviation as I am.

@Brandon_K u r in for a treat if u can go see it
I’ve seen it in KCLT and it was an awesome sight to see

1 Like

I’ve seen it at Mesa Gateway parked on one of the runways because it’s too big for the parking area

2 Likes

I’ve also seen it at Seattle Tacoma

2 Likes

super excited!!!

I don’t think CVG has enough runway space lol.

1 Like

I think @KPIT is hoping it diverts to PIT 😂

3 Likes

Now I wish I lived in America just to see that big bird

WHY CAN’T IT GO TO AUSTRALIA?

2 Likes

We had the one 24 last month, and I can’t really go see it anyway since I am booked Saturday, so @Cbro4 can have it…

2 Likes