For all of those curious with what a plane that is under investigation looks like

Hey guys,
So for those of you who know me really well. You’ll know my uncle is President of the whole American Airlines fleet. So when American Airlines flight AA383 had that engine fire, he had to go up to Chicago and meet with investigators from the FAA, NTSB, Boeing and AA (internal investigators). So this following week, my uncle was kind enough to share this photo of what the end result of it looks like post fire and cleanup! So you may be asking, why the covering? Well according to my uncle, that covering is to protect the 767 from the elements since it was sitting outside, plus it is also to serve as a shell, so none of those particles can escape that can help resole the case quickly! image

30 Likes

Wow, this is really intriguing, it looks like they have removed all the paint, have they or is it a cover?

1 Like

It is a cover to protect the frame from being ruined from the weather! The paint so far hasn’t came off yet but last time i talked to him, he said they are finalizing plans for the plane to be scrapped at ORD within the next few weeks to months

3 Likes

Do you have any more cool pictures like this?

1 Like

I have a video of them taking down the burnt wing but as always the computer likes to throw fits lol, Ill try to download then maybe post a link of them on here !

1 Like

MaxSez: Interesting. The rap in not unusual. I winterised my boat wth the same rap. Wanna see lotsa Planes rapped for preservation visit Davis-Monten AFB outside Tucson. The US “Aircraft Bone Yard”.image

6 Likes

That’s really interesting but scary at the same time. Isn’t it weird seeing an aircraft that caught fire? I never knew where they went.

2 Likes

I think that’s really interesting!!

2 Likes

Scrapped eh? I wonder what the scrap value would be for a jet like this.

1 Like

As creepy as an elephant grave yard. I’d love to spend a day out there.

2 Likes

That’s so cool!

1 Like

I would love to see what the insid looks like, has your uncle seen it? And we’re there belongings still in it

I think on a sunny day its wouldn’t have looked so bad… but because of the darkness and fog, it gives it a real spooky and mysterious vibe!

1 Like

I believe the belongings have been turned into either the FAA or either returned back to the proper families… that is if they aren’t burned… But my uncle said everything inside is still in there, he said the front looks perfect but the farther back you go you he said you couldnt tell what is what back there, in other words the fire was so hot it litterally started to have the inside melt!

1 Like

I dont know but that would be interesting to see, from what my uncle said is that maintenance is going to go in and salvage anything that was not affected like the Cockpit maybe spared with the material it has, maybe the seats if they desire or need any and anything else

There’s a retailer local to me that sells 737 and 757 passenger seats for your living room. There’s definitely money to be made once they’re out of service.

1 Like

Yeah! I saw where someone is using old winglets like 737’s and 757’s and turning them into some desks! Too bad i probably cant get one lol!

1 Like

The seats I saw were only $30 a piece, they look like they were in good shape. Now I did find a coffee table that was made out of a section of wing, that baby was $500.

3 Likes

Yep, maybe i can benefit from my uncle maybe… just kidding i wouldn’t use that to take advantage of his job lol

4 Likes

Good bye Winglet, do you know if it’s going to Victorville logistics airport