Food on flights

Are there airlines that still serve hot food on their flights? If so what is the minimum distance or time of travel for them to serve hot food? What are the airlines?

I used to fly from EWR and JFK to SDQ which used to be a 3h45m flight that American Airlines and United(back when they were Continental) served food on. They do not anymore.

8 Likes

Most American carriers don’t serve food on domestic flights even on routes like JFK-LAX at least in economy. People want cheaper tickets and something has to come at the cost of that… Economy comfort /economy+ (Idek what’s its called now a days) usually have some sandwiches and things like that

4 Likes

is that the case in European flights?

1 Like

Nope you get food on European flights, at least that is my experience with delta

2 Likes

Yes, I don’t know about internal USA or Europe flights but here in Africa Ethiopian Airlines and Kenya Airways serve hot food even on a 2 hour flight.

2 Likes

Qantas do a great job of this. On flights less than an hour, they still serve food. Even on QantasLink, you can get food on flights under half an hour. Pretty great if you ask me :)

1 Like

Short-haul service flights usually do not serve any hot food from my experience, though I have only flown with a few European carriers.

1 Like

Ryanair and Aer Lingus serve Hot Food on some short haul flights. For example a flight from EIKN - EGNM would take on average 50 minutes and they would still serve hot food.

2 Likes

I know what you mean ;)

2 Likes

FR/EI don’t fly from Knock to Leeds. I think you meant Dublin rather than Knock.

1 Like

they used to fly from knock a couple of years ago. I remember because I’ve used the route a couple of times with my family.

1 Like

In know for South African Airways it goes like this:

International/Regional Africa:
Business - Full meal service
Economy- Full meal service

Domestic ( Internal South Africa Flight):
First departure-0900AM / 0500PM - last flight
Business - Full meal service
Economy- Full meal service

0900AM- 0500PM
Busniness - snack and fruit plate.
Economy- Muffin/Sandwich and a packet of crisps.

4 Likes

Boston to Amsterdam gives out good food on Delta

1 Like

okay, so by the feedback I am getting…the distance isnt a factor but location is.

1 Like

It depends on the airline :)

2 Likes

Flying with Delta from New York to London you do

1 Like

In europe it depend the airline, low costs generally don’t offer a “free” food service, normal carriers offers a little meal depending on the duration. But the quality isn’t spectacular ;-)

For example an hour flight (Geneva - London) You’ll receive a small sandwich and a drink. with Swiss
A 30 mins flight (Geneva - Zurich) you’ll receive a bottle of water and a small chocolate (Delicious!) With Swiss

But an Air France Flight of 2hours you’ll receive very small biscuits and drinks :/

2 Likes

If coffee counts as a food then yes:-)

1 Like

Can’t beat a muffin and crisps in the cheap seats ;)

3 Likes

Hawaiian Airlines has complementary meals for international routes and PHNL-KJFK-PHNL

2 Likes