Fokker Dr.I

This plane was the German fighter plane from the World War I. It was one of the most famous triplane aircraft.
Fokker Triplane at Militärhistorisches Museum Flugplatz Berlin-Gatow

1 Like

@Clipper are these feature requests?

No, it isn’t the features topic. It’s general topic.

@Clipper welcome back! Don’t you think this more appropriate in real world aviation catogary? Because it’s real plane?

Good call @GatwickGuy I blanked out at the time

Hi,

this type of aircraft was flown (but not only) by Manfred Freiherr von Richthofen, called the Red Baron after the color of his aircraft.

By the way, do you know why he and his other fellow pilots in the squadron painted their aircraft in bright colors (their squadron was nicknamed the flying circus because of that)?

Well, they did it not only for psychological reasons (to demonstrate strength & self-confidence) but also for a very important one, which helped a bit saving their lives:
At that time camouflaged aircraft looked pretty much the same from the ground, and the flak (anti aircraft guns on the ground) guys often shot at their own aircraft by mistake.

So by flying around in this colored aircraft the pilots could at least prevent friendly fire, … and the others were shooting at them anyway.

Rgds & happy landings

Clipper747PA