FMS / LNAV / VNAV through API

Hi all,

I currently have (somewhat crude) LNAV working using the IF Connect API. Successfully followed several different flight plans without any issue. VNAV (simplified) and speed setting support is in progress (just need a few more minutes of work). Then prettying up the gui and it’s done.

Before putting more effort in, I’d like some thoughts on this idea from the dev community.

Here are the things I’m wondering…

1. If I release this, will some find it almost like “cheating”? I’m going back and forth on if this is worth it. I guess we kind of already see this with APPR.

2. Is anyone else also working on something like this already?

Any thoughts on the above or anything else related?

22 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

3 Likes

5 Likes

I don’t mean to comment for the devs or any other “higher ups” but I truly don’t believe this would be cheating. It would add to the realism of this sim, which is what a lot of us are looking for. In addition to that there are still rules and regulations that everyone has to follow that go far beyond using the navigational systems and I think the rules that the developers have put in place will continue to keep everything balanced.

8 Likes

@Rotate, I appreciate the ideas. Keem 'em coming! Integrating some more navigation data and SID/STAR nav is certainly possible and probably very desired – I’ll definitely look into it. What are you thinking with regard to fuel consumption simulation?

@Chad_Garnett, very true. Agreed. Thanks.

1 Like

I have to agree with @Chad_Garnett it’s something we have wanted for A LONG TIME so I don’t see why not

2 Likes

I like this idea, and no it’s not really cheating

2 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

I already have something like this 60% done for my iOS app, but it will work in conjunction with some other features.

8 Likes

@Rotate certainly possible but I don’t think we can change weight yet via the api unfortunately. Will keep it in mind.

@carmalonso, nice. Hope to see it soon. You are writing it as a mobile app or PC to interface with ios?

Honestly this is just a fun excersize for me. I could care less about releasing it but I probably will when I finish some stuff up. Hopefully over my time off during the holidays.

I wanted to add NAV mode to IF at some point in 2016, but if you guys are doing it… ;-)

Matt

22 Likes

Art thou a developer?..if no, good volunteering :)

I’m adding it to the mobile app I’m working on - I’ve had enough of desktop development with my joystick client ;)

3 Likes

I second this-the more procedural we can get with the aircraft (say the Airbus for instance) the more real it gets! I’d kill for a solid FMGS and managed/selected on the Airbus!

2 Likes

Is it possible for someone to explain me what is this about? Is a future update?

This is the developer category. Most of us have no idea what’s going on in here, don’t post in here if you’re not a developer:)

3 Likes

I’ve committed something I’ve been working on for a few days which includes basic FMS capability to GitHub. Anyone (developers) interested, please feel free to take a look and comment (or use this for other ideas, etc.).

Credits to Cameron, Matt and the community for the ideas and inspiration.

Currently crude but functional.

I plan on working on this over the next few days a bit more while I still have off from work. Once I make it a bit more user friendly, I’ll probably release something for others to try out this weekend.

Happy New Year!

9 Likes