FMS/FMC/MCDU iPhone app

Wonder if it’s been suggested before - I’m sure it has. I would like to suggest an IF FMS app for iPhone to connect with IF on a separate device. The app would have at least most of the basic functions of a standard FMS: LNAV/VNAV capability being paramount. The app would either have capability to be updated at a charge via Navigraph download or via app updates to the navdata. Capabilities would include entering RNAV departures and arrivals and auto-filling crossing altitudes and speeds in accordance with such procedures. This data would then be sent to the sim over wifi, and missing waypoints would be accounted for as FLPtoIF does at current. In addition, VNAV capability would be completely programmable for CLB CRZ and DES stages of flight. ECON and LRC cruise modes would be available, but cruise speed would not be limited to that - you could put in any Mach number you desire and the AP would hold that if A/T was engaged. If A/T is not engaged for any stage of flight with the exception of cruise, programmed VNAV values would take over and an FLCH mode would take over, using pitch to control airspeed at any thrust input. Finally, the app would be receptive to current weather conditions both on the ground and aloft and would account for those conditions when coming up with automated cruise speed settings. E.g. If you have a 150 kt tailwind, it isn’t really conducive or economical to fly at M. 0.78, but rather 0.72, a much more conservative speed fuel-wise. Conversely, flying into said tailwind, that is, a 150 kt headwind, would result in a cruise speed or something closer to the standard M 0.78 most people default to.

Maybe the stuff in the latter portion of this post is a bit insane to ask for in the same breath. I must say that the LNAV is something we currently are still sort of lacking. It has come quite a ways in the past year, and FPLtoIF is wonderful, but to come up with anything with accurately placed runway-dependent RNAV waypoints, each one of the fixes from the SID/STAR plate has to be entered into Simbrief and then exported, which can be a massive hassle when you’re dealing with stuff such as some of the RNAV procedures into and out of BOS and DCA. It’s a lot easier to enter one thing into a computer rather than to add 15 waypoints to your plan, by hand, and then move each one, individually, to its appropriate place in your flight plan waypoint list.

Has anyone toyed around with the development of such an app yet?

Here’s an app in development that seems to meet what you want…

This app is already out, and VNAV is one of many, many functions…

I can’t really speak for the unreleased app yet, (but it looks great…) but IF Assistant is great…

2 Likes

Actually I almost forgot there is VNAV capability here too…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.