Flying to Lisbon Airport - LPPT [UPDATED]

Flying to Lisbon Airport - A Guide.

Unknown to some, Lisbon Humberto Delgado Airport or Lisbon Airport is located in Portugal, precisely in the city of Lisbon. The airport opened in 1942 during World War II, since then it has grown imensily but now it’s growth is limited, due to the fast growth of the city which lead to have almost no other place to expand.

Information:

ICAO: LPPT
IATA: LIS
Runways: 17/35 and 03/21
Number of Terminals: 2
Longest Runway: 03/21 (12484x148 feet)

Frequencies:

ATIS: 124.15 MHz
Delivery Clearance: 118.50 or 118.95 MHz
Ground: 121.75 or 118.50 MHz
Tower: 118.10 or 118.50 MHz
Approach: 119.1 or 119.55 MHz

Terminals:

Terminal 1:

• Aegean Airlines
  • Aer Lingus
  • Aeroflot
  • Aigle Azur
  • Air Algérie
  • AirBaltic
  • Air Canada Rouge
  • Air Europa
  • Air France
  • Air Malta
  • Air Moldova
  • Air Transat
  • American Airlines
  • Arkia
  • Atlantic Airlines
  • Azores Airlines
  • Azul Brazilian Airlines
  • Beijing Capital Airlines
  • Binter Canarias
  • Blue Air
  • Bulgaria Air
  • British Airways
  • Brussels Airlines
  • Croatia Airlines
  • Czech Airlines
  • Delta Airlines
  • Emirates
  • euroAtlantic Airways
  • Eurowings
  • Finnair
  • Fly One
  • Iberia
  • Iberia “operated by Air Nostrum”
  • Icelandair
  • Israir
  • Joon
  • KLM
  • LATAM Brasil
  • Lufthansa
  • Luxair
  • Orbest
  • Royal Air Maroc
  • SAS
  • Sun D’Or Operated by EL AL
  • Swiss International Airlines
  • TAAG Angola Airlines
  • TACV
  • TAP Air Portugal
  • TAP Air Portugal operated by TAP Express
  • Tunisiair
  • Turkish Airlines
  • United Airlines
  • Ural Airlines
  • Vueling
  • WOW Air

Terminal 2:

• Easyjet
  • Easyjet Switzerland
  • Norwegian Air Shuttle
  • Transavia
  • Transavia France
  • Ryanair
  • Wizz Air

Runway Usage:

Generally in Lisbon Airport, it only has one operational Runway 03/21 which is used almost all the time, if not all the time, Runway 17/35 is used as an emergency runway and taxiway, this was made to help ease of traffic, by letting airplanes use 17/35 as a taxiway, very rarely this runway might be used for landings only but that’s only at night. To add, 17/35 is used as an exit taxiway of 03/21 and also a taxiway to cross 03/21.

An explanation:

This means:

• Runway 03/21 is used for take-offs and landings
  • Runway 17/35 is not used for either takeoff or landings, only used as a taxiway or emergency runway.

Flight:

Taxiing:

RWY21:

On RWY21 Aircraft generally don’t cross the runway, however heavies usually cross the runway because the runway gets to short, here’s an example of some taxi paths I’ve seen.

• Green line is heavies
  • Red line is narrowbody (sometimes narowbody’s take the other way ex: 757’s).

RWY03:

There’s not much to say about this one, but usually take a different path than narrowbodies because the other taxiways space is to short for them to taxi in. Here’s an example:

• Green line is heavy (widebody)
  • Red Line is narrowbody, one of various taxi routes narrowbodies do.

Departing:

On departure a steep climb is required specially out of RWY21 because the city center is really close to the airport, so a steep climb will reduce noise in the city. I recommend a climb greater then more or less +1700 fpm per minute. When departing RWY03 you’ll have to turn to avoid a mountain ahead of the airport shown here:

Arrow indicates the mountains you should avoid on departure

Arriving:

When arriving always try to check visibility, if the conditions are CAT III you should divert, I think the ILS has already been upgraded to CAT III but not sure if it isn’t working by now, the runway is long so if you are landing with a narrow or widebody you shouldn’t worry to much, if you are going to arrive at 17/35 make sure you always do it at night time, because in day time it is not used due to heavy traffic.

Parking:

Exiting the Runway:

I am going to show you some common exit paths of the runway that aircraft usually take:

(Sorry for the mess)

• Green is widebody
  • Red is narrowbody

Parking:

Here’s an overview of the Terminals map, as you can see you see Terminal 1 and 2, now I will explain some restrictions you have.

Terminal map.

Restriction:

Now lets get to this restriction: here almost no heavies (only the B757 and B767 or smaller) can go through here, or the wing could collide with the terminal that is nearby.

Heavy Parking Spots:

What’s This stand for?

This is an utility stand where sometimes A330 park here but that is very rare, anyway I have included here for you to know a bit more about it

Other Information:

No flights are allowed in real life between 0000-0600LT, so for realism you should follow this rule, and also a steep climb is required due to noise restrictions, the city is really close to the airport. Runway 03/21 is cleared for ILS CAT II/III operations ( recently has been upgraded for ILS CAT III not sure if it’s working by now.

Why make this topic?

This was made as I’ve seen a lot of people take-off from 17/35 and doing other procedures wrong on Infinite Flight Live, anyways, I hope you enjoyed the rather long read, this was made with some research so please feel free to correct me if needed. I also made this for people who are seeking realism at Lisbon and other places.

Should I make a series of this guides for various airports?

• Yes
  • Maybe
  • No

0 voters

NOTE: More Information to be added, stay tuned.
Thanks for reading.

14 Likes

Hey dude- this is an awesome guide! I might copy you and make my own guide one day hehe

3 Likes

Hello, I made this for Infinite Flight and not for real-world-aviation flying, thanks!

1 Like

I love the amount of detail and work that has gone into this thread!

Good Job! Very Helpful! :)

3 Likes

Can you make a LEBL guide? I always see people taking off runway 25R/07L and landing on runway 25L/07R, or using runway 02/20.

1 Like

Extremely Helpful! Thank You, I do fly to Lisbon very often and from now I’ll have this guid.

2 Likes

Thank you @NationofAviation and @Balloonchaser! @Infinite2674 I might do LEBL for next but I don’t know, I’ll see.

2 Likes

Maybe a poll? ;)

1 Like

Hey, nice guide. I may just have to make one of CYYZ soon.

1 Like

I have updated this thread so you should check out the new changes!

Anyways, you have the right to vote for the next Guide! We are going to start medium but then I will move to larger airports.

• LEMG (Malaga)
  • LEZL (Seville)
  • LPPR (Porto)
  • LEBB (Bilbao)

0 voters

1 Like

Great topic ! I encourage this kind of presentation to make the game more realistic. LPPT is my favourite airport, the approach is amazing as you fly above Lisbon with an amazing view. Thanks for doing this !

NOTE:

Please people, I open LPPT tower/ground regularly on training server. Now you know why I make people use the RWY 03/21. It is not to annoy you with a long taxi trip. It is the operating runway in this airport, nothing more, nothing less. So please, don’t ask me, or another ATC controller to take off from the smallest runway. Thank you and have a nice flight !

Credits to the instagram account “lppt_spotter” who gave me the permission to use this picture.

2 Likes

Thank you for your comment my friend! Very appreciated, thanks for replying!

1 Like

Great post! Very informative and helpful/useful! Fingers crossed for LPPR!

1 Like

Hey, I’d like to ask something as I’m not really an expert in aviation but maybe someone can answer me:
Why is there actually no A380 landing in Lisbon ? The airport has a pretty long runway so it shouldn’t be a problem for the landing. I know Emirates for example operates LPPT for a while now, and Lisbon becoming an important touristic/commercial hub this last decade I wondered why no A380 has landed there yet.
Thanks in advance for the answer !

Well it’s slightly off topic, but runway length isn’t the only reason for different types of aircraft calling there. It will also depend on the ground facilities to handle such an aircraft as well as if the tarmac around the apron, taxiways and the runway itself is strong and wide enough for an A380 to call there.

Lastly is the economical sense to fly an aircraft there, often it’s better to fly several times a day with a smaller aircraft then it is to have one giant aircraft call.

1 Like

Yeah, I know it’s a bit off topic but I couldn’t find a better place to ask this. Thank you for your answer !

1 Like

There is simply no space, that’s why they are building the Montijo airport.
However, it is known that if LPPT could handle the A380, EK would fly it. They revealed intentions to fly the a380 there

2 Likes

The runway length is not a problem I remember that last year a 747-8 of Qatar Amri (Now Turkish government Aircraft) landed at Lisbon with no problems, the problem is that to handle an A380 you need 3 jetbridges at one gate, which currently on Lisbon there is not that, the biggest jetbridge is probably where Emirates currently parks there B777 I think an A380 wingspan is two large and would obstruct one adjacent taxiway, on a stand maybe, but it would bring a lot of problem with buses and stairs to the terminal. I think right now it is probably a question of demand and lack of space. Also, historically an A380 has done a lowpass at Lisbon (not landed) but I thought it would be cool to post it here:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.