Flying Through Hurricane Force Winds

So i’m flying to 25L at KLAX and encountered 40 knots gusts and easily 20+ in sustained winds. I made a perfect touch and go in the crosswind. So on my way to KPSP and this happens

Did this happen to anyone else flying SoCal region a few minutes ago?

4 Likes

Yikes, 84kt gust. Sometimes the live weather is legit, other times members have seen obvious bugs like 135kt sustained with clear skies. Enjoy the ride and try not to get a violation! Also I believe moderators can reverse violations with screen shots such as yours to prove extraordinary circumstances.

Edit/Additional: KPSP is showing heavy rain with low visibility at the moment. There might be a real weather event effecting you.

2 Likes

84 knots was the least of my worries at one point i was gusting to over 300. At that point i stopped controlling the plane and let it drift until the craziness stopped

3 Likes

I live in so Cal and there are high wind advisories and bad weather right now

4 Likes

Makes sense. Those winds cannot be realistic however.

yeah an 84 gust sounds too much, winds are about 30 or so,

We have bad weather in SoCal rn, so it’s normal that you’re getting these conditions.

1 Like

But he’s higher up in the atmosphere where the wind can and will be different then at ground level.

1 Like

100% realistic. It was hurricane conditions in San Diego today IRL

1 Like

yep, also had that experience on live today, and i was in a Cessna… :(

1 Like

Actually I don’t think mods can reverse violations/system ghosts. Because they cannot reverse a ghost by three people or more. Maybe I’m wrong.

1 Like

I read one thread a while back where Tyler reversed speed violations because of environmental factors, but that’s really all I have to go on.

I just flew KPSP-KONT-KLAX-KNUC-KSAN-KPSP in those winds, and it was the hardest thing I had ever done in IF. It was unbelievable.

2 Likes

49kt winds are actually Tropical Storm Force Winds.

I actually posted a pic of 250+ knot winds which is higher than Hurricane Force :)

1 Like

Oh my. Did u have to quit the flight?

Those weren’t hurricane winds. You should have seen when hurricane Mathew went through the Caribbean last year. IF picked it up and the winds where 100+kts. Also the next storm will be tomorrow and right now. Here in Socal this has been the longest since we’ve had a storm that bad. Something I never see much here.

Question, i posted 3 pics can you see all 3? I’ve actually posted a photo of 272 knot winds

Also I live in the Bahamas I had to deal with Matthew in real life. Unfortunately I was not on Live when Matthew passed. Or at very least i was using Live only for a month a time so my subscription may have ended so i didnt get to fly in that weather

1 Like

At least your safe from Mathew’s wrath. But if you have live while you were secure the weather was crazy.

1 Like