Flying the XCub

Can someone tell me why the XCub is so hard to fly when in TO or LDG
Like is there something I need to do or not doing or what

2 Likes

I would use rudder for the XCub if your taking off or landing. Are you using it?

1 Like

The main suggestion is make minor input to the controls. The controls are very sensitive and the tiniest bit of rudder gives a great affect as a taildragger. When on the ground and applying power, I’d always suggest keeping your stick back (tilt device to look up) so you have the best traction between the ground and the rear wheel.

Take a look at a few community tutorials I’ve linked down below.

Official tutorials by staff:

2 Likes

The CC-19 (CubCrafters XCub) is as realistic as it can get. Most of us in the aviation simulation community (sometimes including me), are used to how easy airliners are to fly. When you’re flying the XCub, you’re most likely flying it as if it was an airliner - it’s certainly not.

Feel free to watch some of the tutorials that @Ecoops123 listed above. Also check out some videos of people flying the XCub in real life. When you’re taking off, add in some back pressure and right rudder; ease that pressure as you reach Vr (Rotation Speed). Make sure to add more rudder as you reach Vr! Then slowly pitch up and ease that right rudder. Within seconds, you’ll be off the ground and pitching for your best rate of climb (Vy).

Read up on how the FAA teaches maneuvers (such as short field AND soft field takeoffs and landings):

Why your plane always wants to turn left

When taking off or landing, there are 4 “left turning tendencies”:

1. Torque
  2. P-Factor
  3. Gyroscopic Precession
  4. Spiraling Slipstream

All 4 of these are felt in the XCub because it is a small-tailwheel aircraft.

Torque:
As you throttle up your engine for takeoff, the right-turning direction of the engine and propeller forces the left side of the airplane down toward the runway. When the left side of the airplane is forced down onto the runway, the left tire has more friction with the ground than the right tire, making the aircraft want to veer to the left

P-Factor:
When the downward sweeping blade is at a much higher angle of attack than the upward sweeping blade. With a higher AOA, the downward sweeping blade creates much more lift (or thrust) as well, making the airplane want to yaw to the left.

Gyroscopic Precession:
When tailwheel airplanes lift their tail off the runway during takeoff, a force is applied to the top of the propeller. Since the propeller is spinning clockwise, that force is felt 90 degrees to the right. That forward moving force, on the right side of the propeller, creates a yawing motion to the left.

Spiraling Slipstream:
During takeoff, the air accelerated behind the prop, known as the ‘slipstream’, follows a corkscrew pattern. As it wraps itself around the fuselage, it hits the left side of your aircraft’s tail, creating a yawing motion, and making the aircraft turn left.

Read More Here:

6 Likes

I’ve never felt left turning tendencies in infinite flight. Are they simulated?

Yes but it still veers off

Ahhhh yeah thx

Are there winds?

Yes but I even did a direct wind test and it still does it

Well, the wind is your problem if it’s direct

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.