Flying overnight while your asleep

Yeah I am going to put it next to a window on metal.

1 Like

Thats perfect make sure to.find something with a metal surface it always helps😊

1 Like

I have a little desk fan that I plug in, keeps my ipad cold during flights or you could leave it on a window ledge (inside not out) and it’ll cool down.

1 Like

don’t hit VNAV incase you don’t wake up ive racked up 12 vios for doing that expecting to be awake. Without activating it, it allows you to fly over the airport with no issues.

1 Like

When I was actually active in flying, I did overnights almost every night. I don’t really set an alarm because if I oversleep, I oversleep. I just put a bit more fuel if I do. I also prop my device up so it cools down or something like that. People probably said all the things I just said but

Try referencing this too :)

1 Like

Overnight long hauls is the epitome of IF nowadays :)

Just make sure VNAV isn’t on like @Azhal_Halil mentioned above and if you oversleep there is no downside as long as you have some extra fuel prepped really other than being off course. And since you will be flying heavy make sure you are at a lower altitude so the fuel burn will be better

I oversleep a lot but usually I bring on 3-4 hours of fuel extra to combat the winds and just in case I do fall asleep. Definitely check windy for the wind forecast, it’ll make or break your flight sometimes!

I have done overnight long hauls for almost a good year now, never had any device issues. I’m running an 2020 iPad Pro but around a month ago I used to run the budget iPad gen 6 so there should definitely be no issues :)

Happy flying

1 Like

I leave my iPad on a stand and it is just fine. No need for additional fan etc as I have the AC on when I sleep anyways.

If I can’t use the stand, I put the iPad on my bedside table and leave one side of it propped up/lifted on an eraser etc so the back can breathe a little bit and the heat will dissipate nicely as there is air

I take off my cover, set graphics to low and then let low power mode turn on then just doozle away

The only time I would start my flight is around 0400 or 0600, that would be the only time I’d fly long hauls, currently I have two planed flights LHR to Perth with Quantas 787 and Dubai to Melbourne Australia Emirates A350, B773 flies there but I don’t like flying without my cockpit having lights in it so it doesn’t have to be dark as heck…

Thank you guys so much.

1 Like

I’m really late to this but I do long haul flights almost every night, I have over 3k hours of flight time just from these flights alone, and my tip is set up a flight that when you wake up you’ll have 2-3 hours left of flight time, that’s if you have a second device to keep you occupied but I just turn on a movie and go to mini player and wait till I’m awake to watch it and then land. But ya setting an alarm is very important, dont over sleep. Here’s a few suggestions for long hauls that are great for overnight, YSSY-KLAX (and back) KDFW-VHHH, EHAM-FACT, EGLL-YPPH(lol it’s my go to long haul flight). Basically anything that’s over 5000 NM is a good flight to setup before going to sleep. Also what time you go to sleep is very important, let’s say you go to sleep at 10:30 PM and set up a 10 hour flight, that flight won’t get done till around 8:30 to 9, not a big problem if you’re a morning person but for me that’s no good. I tend to do flights that get done at around Noon to 1, no matter the time I get to bed lol

2 Likes

If you are doing a 10hr flight, takeoff at 21h00-21h30. You will be expected to land at 07h00, so set your alarm to 06h00. I have done overnight flights many times. You will get used to doing it.

2 Likes

that’s good but i think you’ll get much tailwind that makes you go faster , i usually check FR24 and windy too . if you check fr24 Icn-lax is faster than lax - icn , happy flying!

Welcome to the forums! And yeah I agree with what @Springbok420YT says here.

1 Like

Welcome to the community!

Is there an app that shows you active runways in airports on witch you must land abd how was the flight😊

It went well. I’m 120Nm out from KLAX

Good to hear. Hopefully you can do some more overnight flights in the future.

1 Like

This is on your phone right? If so, you wanna make sure things like Discord calls, phone calls, low battery notifications, Instagram video call notifications don’t happen or else your flight will pause in perpetuity (though technically the flight should still be going just fine even if ‘paused’).

Try your best to ensure that no notification can pause your flight over night.

2 Likes