Flying overnight while your asleep

So I kind of want to do a long haul. I only fly during the day, but I want to try out flying in the night. If you have any experience with flying overnight while your asleep please tell me. I don’t know what to expect.

7 Likes

Most people so long hauls overnight and its a good time to do them. Set an alarm so you don’t oversleep and potentially rack up violations. Plan your flight time carefully again so you don’t risk oversleeping. Keep your device on charge just in case.

12 Likes

Well, let’s see. You go nighty-night, wake up, check your device, usually you’re pretty close to your destination. Not much else to it…

20 Likes

Do you set your alarm on the device your flying with?

1 Like

From time to time yes. And then I turn it off when I wake up.

3 Likes

I remember once I was going to do a flight overnight but when I set my alarm clock wrong it went off and a got kicked off the app.

3 Likes

You shouldn’t do. If you are on IOS - it should just appear as a banner at the top and shouldn’t interrupt your flight.

2 Likes

Well this was before 20.1 so your probably right.

Could be that something’s changed.

1 Like

Give yourself plenty of time to sleep, don’t be like me and limit yourself to 6 hours because of a long haul!

All jokes aside, set an alarm preferably on a different device, turn brightness down and graphics down if you have battery/crashing issues. Also do not engage VNAV until you are awake in the morning!

8 Likes

Ah yes. Yeah…that’s important…if you don’t want violations that is

4 Likes

When should I wake up? Like 30 minutes till destination or 1 hour to destination.

1 Like

I wake up between 1-2 hours before so I can plan my arrival properly. Sometimes I push it to 1 hour if the landing is scheduled for early in the morning so I can sleep a bit longer but that doesn’t happen very often.

2 Likes

Whatever you feel comfortable with :)
The longer time you spare, the safer.

3 Likes

I’m also worried about getting actual sleep. Do make sure that your flight would land at a reasonable time?

1 Like

Yes sleep is important. Where possible I try to schedule mine so I land between 7-8am.

2 Likes

I do overnights all the time. Normally what I do is I pick a flight that is really long, normally more than 9 hours. That way you can sleep fully and just set an alarm to wake up. Also, I would put the brightness on minimum, and put low power mode on. Another thing that can be useful is to not put on VNAV until you wake up just in case winds change, or you don’t wake up in time. That happened to me once, and I got three over speed violations while inactive 😂

2 Likes

Thank guys. I’m always scared to do them because I feel like I will wake up and all the sudden I’ve crashed. And then I’m back on grade 2.

2 Likes

I always make sure I’m awake for about an hour minimum before landing a long haul. Usually you’ll start your descent about 20 minutes out on ETA to Dest displayed /150nm out. I set a couple of alarms so I’m awake, and usually during the time before starting descent it gives me time to get breakfast, or just actually wake up and realise that there’s a world in front of my eyes and not a disoriented screen in front of me.

If you have any more questions regarding long hauls, feel free to PM me, I’ve easily done over 400 long hauls ranging across all aircraft capable in Infinite Flight, and all corners of the world. I learnt the hard way too at first! 😂

1 Like

As did most of us I’m sure…

1 Like