Flying on the DC-10/MD-11 - IRL

The recent update made me wonder how many IFC members have taken flights on the real thing. I’ve been on several DC-10s over the years, mostly United flights between Hawaii and Los Angeles or San Francisco. I also flew on a Scandinavian DC-10 once from New York to Copenhagen and back. Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to fly on the MD-11. FDS did an amazing job bringing these iconic aircraft to life. Please share any experiences you’ve had with them here.

6 Likes

I took a Continental DC10 a long time ago
Edit: pretty sure it was a DC10

3 Likes

I’ve never been on a DC-10 or a MD-11 before but I’m sorta happy about that since we all know the reputation of the DC-10…

3 Likes

I have flown an two Northwest DC-10’s, one between Seattle and Honolulu and one between LA and Honolulu, one World Airways MD-11 between KBWI and ETAR, and the USAF KC-10 eight times, between KSUU and PHNL or PHNL and PGUA.

5 Likes

Continental DC-10 from PGUM-KLAX when I was 6 months old

3 Likes

Had been on EVA Air’s MD-11 a couple of times in 1999, during round trips between RCSS n RCKH. Their last bird of that type served on March A23, 2005 as it flew to Anchorage.
This is a pic of its takeoff:

1 Like

Btw, the EVA Air’s use of MD-11s for passenger operation ended in 2003.

I honestly have never even seen the passenger version, let alone sit in it, and I’ve been flying internationally nearly every year since 2003…

1 Like

Here you go, the EAV Air MD-11 passenger plane:

5 Likes

Lol, I meant in person XD
Thanks anyways…

1 Like

that doesnt mean you couldnt have flown on it ;)

2 Likes

20141202_040009

Sitting in the cockpit of a FedEx MD-11 waiting to go to LAX. I’ve jumpseated on a whole bunch of them.

17 Likes

Can’t remember the chart her company but from Ft. Hood Texas to Shannon Ireland then on to Kuwait in a MD11. Slept the entire way.

1 Like

I used to take them all the time, up until they were discontinued by KLM. I used to take Northwest DC-10s to Amsterdam and then to Delhi, or we’d take KLM MD11s from Amsterdam to Delhi

I have flown on many of these aircraft mostly United airlines. One flight exactly seven days before the United flight 232 crash.
I’ve also worked on the DC-10 as a structures (A&P) mechanic on Northwest, United and FedEx birds. Love this plane.c3f53e7b43065cf981dc273eb565678c

1 Like

That would of been World Airways. Quite a few of us have been on that charter.

1 Like

Is PHNL a base for the USAF KC-10s or was it more of a pit stop?

PHNL is a joint military base, called Hickman. They share the same runways and ICAO code, but have separate area from which they operate. I believe they have F-22s stationed there.

2 Likes

Yep, he’s right. Hickam AFB is formerly Pearl Harbor AFB, and the important thing is there are two Air Refueling Squadrons that operate joint. Both operate the KC-135, none the KC-10. All the KC-10s that fly through Hickam use it as a “pit stop”.

If you want to learn more, check out the Wikipedia:

1 Like

Northwest DC-10, United DC-10. Never the MD-11 though, I would have liked to check that off my list. In fact the first flight I took was after I was born in Bethel, Alaska on a MarkAir 737 to Anchorage then a Northwest DC-10 through SeaTac and then finally MSP with my newly adoptive parents. Oh yeah, Reagan was still President if you wanted to date my experience.