Flying Limousine: Challenger 350 from Hartford to Rankin Inlet

Server: Solo
Aircraft & Livery: Challenger 350, HB-CRW
Route: Hartford-Brainard Airport - Rankin Inlet, Nunavut
Flight Time: 3 hours, 3 minutes
Cruising altitude: 43,000 feet

Today, I got the chance to fly on a private, chartered Challenger 350 from Hartford, Connecticut, to Rankin Inlet, Nunavut. I am the Chief Executive Officer for Northern Medical Service, an organization focused on providing medical care to remote communities in Northern Canada. We’re based in Connecticut, and a team of us was sent out to remote Nunavut, to assist in setting up a clinic in Baker Lake.

We chartered a Challenger 350 from Mort Air Service, and boarded at Hartford’s Brainard Airport at about 4:00 PM Eastern.

I caught this picture as we were led by ground crew to the aircraft, HB-CRW, which was being fueled up and prepared for departure.

First impression of the cabin! Very modern leather seats, with full recline. There was a small bathroom at the back, near the galley. Most of the fixtures were made with wood paneling, which was a nice touch.

Takeoff! We roared off of Hartford’s runway 2, then made a slight bank towards the west to follow the river. It was a bit windy, but nothing the Challenger’s two Honeywell HTF 7350 couldn’t power through. We climbed at about 3,200fpm.

Our flight path took us north out of Hartford, then a west turn near Montreal. I took this picture as we crossed east of Ottawa. Behind us, our flight attendant, Sandra was preparing tonight’s dinner.

The sun was setting, but it would get lighter again as we continued northwest, due to it being the summer. Sandra came out with our dinner, a three course meal:

Course One: Caesar salad with fresh dressing, roast fingerling potatoes.
Course Two (Main): Garlic butter lamb chops with Brussels sprouts and sweet potato.
Course Three: Carrot cake with fresh whipped cream and local strawberries.

As promised, it got lighter because its summer up in the far North of Canada. Goodbye, Quebec! We won’t see dry land until we cross all of Hudson Bay, and are on final approach to Rankin Inlet.

Before we landed, Sandra passed out some freshly baked bread and homemade butter, as a palate cleanser before we deplaned.

The captian put the plane down firmly on the 6,000 feet of runway that is Rankin Inlet International Airport, Nunavut’s only customs processing facility. There isn’t much to the airport, just a few hangars and a tiny little terminal building.

A friend who works for the RCMP up in Nunavut happens to be in a helicopter, landing as we deplaned, and texted me this picture of our jet.

Overall, I’d say this trip was a 10/10. Very comfortable plane, great food, and amazing service.

I’d also like to compliment @Chris_Wing on this absolutely phenomenal livery. It’s by far my favorite on the Challenger 350.

What is Your Favorite Picture?

0 voters

How Would You Rate This Trip Report?

0 voters

9 Likes

I’ve noticed that the Challenger is very touchy, making it difficult to land smoothly.

yeah thats why I use appr when I can

1 Like

Air Limousine? Keep posting this beauty 📸