Flying in the choppy winds and getting sick

Hi everyone,
Today, I went to my 5th flying lesson.
It was windy, with some gusts. I went up and learned with my instructor about the Dutch roll, as well as flying next to the highway without drifting. I also did some rudder turns, including when climbing.

We headed to Pease Airport (where I work) to do pattern work.
It wasn’t easy, as If I remember it was gusting 20. We were being tossed around.
On the second touch and go, my stomach decided that it was time to become unstable.

I got motion sickness due to how much we were moving around in the cabin.

I was still in control though, as i was able to control the feeling of motion sickness by breathing in and out and not thinking about it.

I told my instructor if we could land to take a quick break. He agreed and we landed and taxied to the FBO where I work.

He waited in the plane while I took a break in the lobby, drinking water as well.
I talked with my coworker there, and then I left back to the plane as I felt better.

After that, we departed and I did the takeoff with the alierons deflected hard left due to the crosswind. The plane dropped to the right and we countered with left deflection.
We went straight back to Hampton Airfield after that, since we basically completed the training flight.

It was fun. Other than the sick part, I honestly have a lot of fun flying.

I’m about to reach 10 hours soon, just a couple of more lessons to go!

Have you ever gotten sick while training or flying?

N64EF was my ride today

Approaching PSM

First flight path, before we landed in Portsmouth

Last leg going back to Hampton

18 Likes

In my 250+ hours of flying, I’ve never been sick. Some people are just more prone to it than others, but it is still very common. You’ll later learn more on aeromedical factors, motion sickness, disorientation, and the like and how to combat these things. Try opening the air vents, take deep breaths, focus on the horizon. Always carry a sick sack with you too just in case.

Old Navy joke is that you should always eat bananas before going flying because they taste the same going up as they do going down. Yuck!

14 Likes

This could be helpful beyond flying if it is indeed true, forget crackers when your sick lol. Not in a mood to put that to the test though 😂

1 Like

This is what I usually do, it helps, but I still has to land and take a break.
We have sick bags in the plane (I think four of them) just in case we need it

1 Like

That is a very interesting story. Sorry you got sick that’s no fun.

I remember my mom I remember my mom got a bit sick on a flight lesson due to the motion of the airplane.

1 Like

I personally have never gotten sick while I was flying but during one of my lessons my mom tagged along in the back and it was a turbulent morning she got very sick and we had to turn around and land again the total flight time was 5 minutes from take off to landing when she got out she fell on the ground and didn’t get up for almost 10 minutes the whole day she didn’t feel right.

1 Like

Oh wow that is not good. Did she never visit a doctor?

1 Like

She didn’t pass out or anything it was mostly just being dizzy that wore off though.

2 Likes

I’m glad she’s okay :)

1 Like

I’ve never had motion sickness myself, but whenever we fly we always carry a bundle of sickness bags for any personnel we’re carrying. Flying doors open especially can upset people’s stomachs. The attached photo was me riding on an aircraft I finished maintenance on, and it showcases rotorwash as well as the abrupt movements helicopters can make.

1 Like

May we all be so lucky 😭

Anyone can experience airsickness — first time pilots, future astronauts, anyone. It sucks, but the most important thing is to get back on the horse and work through it. The more you fly, the better you’ll be adjusted and the less-likely you are to experience it.

1 Like

Funny story, I knew a guy who would throw up during every single dual flight. I’m not exaggerating either. One day, his queasiness just stopped. Now he flies fighters in the Air Force.

1 Like

That’s how some folks I know got through becoming a crew chief or pilot; they just got accustomed to flying. No meds or anything from the flight doc. It impressed me how fast some of them adapted.

A common experience and it sounds like you handled it well. As an instructor I’ve seen students become sick at a variety of moments in the flight, as you said focusing on breathing but also focusing your vision somewhere in the distance can help as well. You can also try and fly with your instructor in those conditions more in the future, so those feelings start to become more familiar to your body.

Keep up the work, sounds like you’ll be soloing in no time.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.